What chicken breeds don't bully and are friendliest to each other?

6 littleHens

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2012
Chillicothe, Ohio
Sickened by what one of my last year's babies did to one of my buckeye babies recently. Not sure if I want to have chickens if there this mean.
I have two barred rock hens and a oegb gs rooster and I'm not sure which one attacked a baby buckeye but they put a large wound on her head. The barred rocks chase the babies all the time, so I put peepers on them. It slowed them down, but still chasing them. I didn't think the rooster was involved, until I saw him jump my new young silkie cockerel and I saw him chasing babies back into the coop. They will not allow the babies out of the coop and into the run.
Not sure what to do cause I don't even know which chicken did it. Oh, and the barred rock hens have bald spots on back of their heads that I noticed couple weeks ago. So, I was sure that the banty rooster did it.
I've only had chickens one year so would like advice and opinions on what should be done.
Would also like to know if there is a breed that doesn't bully or is mean to other chickens so that I can slowly change my flock? I'm hoping the buckeyes wont be bullies. I also just got 3 young silkies and so far they seem the sweetest to each other.

Your rooster is probably over mating causing the bare spots. Light breeds need about 10 to 14 hens per rooster. Large fowl need 7-10 hens per rooster.
As for the attack. It will often happen when new birds are added regardless of the age or breed. When adding chicks it is especially dangerous. If necessary to add birds, they should be like sizes and like numbers.
They are flock animals so outsiders aren't readily accepted for the well being and safety of the flock. They don't want the newbies to get to THEIR food and water.

Silkies are usually the most docile.
For large breeds, in my experience, Orpingtons, Australorps, Jersey Giants, Cochins, Polish, Houdans, Jaerhons, Brahmas, Langshans, Buckeyes, Barnevelders, Chanteclers, Cornish and Faverolles.
They are individuals, not machines so like humans some will be more docile than others and every flock has a pecking order. One will be on top, one will be on bottom and the others will fall in between somewhere.

ChickenCanoe,
What about most docile roosters? To humans and to each other? Thanks!
smile.png

My favorite roosters are Penedesenca and Empordanesa but they aren't good as pets because they're the wildest, most flighty bird.
I raised 10 of them together with very little squabbling. They avoid human contact so they won't attack.

Once hens are introduced to the picture, it doesn't make any difference what breed they are. If there aren't enough hens, they will fight.

As for humans, I find roosters attack predators and other roosters. Predators move fast and other roosters don't bring treats. So always move slowly and bring treats and you won't be viewed as a threat.

If you don't like the flock dynamics get some birds that pair up like geese or swans.

Maybe if I eventually change my flock to more docile breeds, then I can enjoy them more. I can't stand bullying, fighting, arguing, and yelling. It stresses me out! I guess, I just really want a bunch of angel chickens to give me eggs in exchange for a good, safe, protective, comfortable home with supplemental feed and an hour or more each evening of free ranging when weather permits. Not too much too ask for is it?
It bothers me that I have treated my big mama's like queens and spoiled them rotten and they would still do such an act on a baby! I know that these are animals, but need to know all are safe inside their compound while I'm at work.
Anyone have any angel chickens out there?

I understand but that's not how jungle fowl operate which is what chickens descended from. It really is a problem to add a single chick to an established flock of adults regardless of breed. It will often be a disaster.
I recommend starting with the most your coop can handle and let them grow up together, keep them healthy with good ventilation, feed, clean water and clean conditions and you'll have angel chickens for a long time.
Add a bird and mayhem results.

there are no docile breeds it depends on the bird its self people say silkie are so docile and nice to people and other birds but i have a black silkie hen and she will peck me and other birds but her mate loves people and other chickens so it depends on the birds .. my alpha rooster (partridge chantecler) is nice my girls and me i can go out and sit down and bring treats he will come up and sit on my lap and eat right out of my hand and be really gentle but he will attack other roosters cats dogs ... i have a white rooster i don't know his breed he was the old alpha rooster but he got beat up and his place got took by another rooster but back to the point he is nice to the girls he finds treats for them and if i have a broody hen out with chicks he will stay right with that hen to keep her safe and her babies safe he will even find treats for the little babies .. then i have a mottled houdan rooster and he is mean to me he flogs me a lot but thats known in their breeds i hear it a lot that they do it so he is mean to me but really nice to the girls ... so it depends on the rooster all 3 of these i said are different and there different breeds and they are all different then each other and then with my hens i have nice ones mean ones and then in the middle .. but if you put chicks with hens then thats bad do not do it wait until they are the same size and and have more chicks with the one have about the same amount of birds you have since you don't have many or have a few more then you should be fine .. bald spots are from over breeding you do not have enough hens for the roosters

These buckeyes and silkies are almost half size of barred rocks and are the size of the oegb gs and some might be bigger than him. I guess the buckeyes are around 2 months old now and the silkies 3-6 months now. They have a huge cage in the coop with their food and water in it and room for all of them to stay safely. The only one that could fit in the cage would be the banty rooster. I would never put baby chicks in there, I will probably call the buckeyes babies for a long time cause theyre the youngest. The runt buckeye's head wound is healing already and very well. Still, I've heard of people saying that their breeds are friendlier to each other like the orphingtons and cochins. Iv'e also heard the buckeyes are pretty good to each other.

all my birds are fine with each other none pick on each other and they are all different breeds so people can't say just one breed is friendly and always will be it depends on the bird not the breed

It depends on the individual - true. But more importantly, if they grew up as a flock and how much space one has for the birds.
I've had flocks with as many as 20 different breeds in the same flock - they grew up together - no problem.
I've been able to add 2 birds to a flock of 10 with few squabbles but my coops are big and the pens are big(if they don't free range).

Adding a single bird to an established flock closely confined is sure trouble.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom