What CHICKEN did this egg come from

imzadi

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
HI there

I know I've had "where'd that egg come from" issues before. but...

I KNOW I have one blue egg layer...a silkie...something cross that is an easter egger type girl. Pretty blue/green tinted eggs. Got it.

Ok...so, yesterday I had 9 eggs (YEA!!!! finally some new layers) and there were TWO of these small, blue/green tinted eggs! Other than this one blue egg laying "mutt" mentioned above, I'm pretty sure I don't have another one? I've got some Fav. chicks too young to lay. But, the others that I have that are just getting to egg laying age are barred rocks, two hamburgs, and a blue andolusian. I DO also have one that was id'ed here on the forum as a probably old english bantum too.

So...where's the other blue egg from? I collect eggs EVERY day so this is not a left over from my "mutt" from yesterday. Andolusian? Hamburg? Maybe I've got a cross of some kind? What are OTHER blue/green/tinted egg layers (besides the obvious).

Thanks for the help?

Hi there :)

Sometimes chickens will lay two eggs in one day, usually when they're first coming into lay but can happen at any time, sometimes due to stress or whatever reason, so it's possible they came from the same hen.

Let us know if you keep getting two blue eggs in one day!

...could be but...the one chicken I have that I KNOW lays blue-tinted eggs has been laying since spring. She was, however, broody for a short time about 3 weeks ago but...has laid at least four other times since this brood (didn't take much to break her)...

Wondering if a Hamburg has any tint to their egg? I have two and one is pretty red...also, my Audolusian is very red and should be laying soon...

Are the two eggs exactly the same shade of blue tinting, or are they clearly different colors?

Well if she's coming back into lay after being broody I would say it's likely both came from her (if you don't think any of your other hens are blue layers), mine are usually irregular layers when they're coming back into lay.

I don't think pure Hamburgs or[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Andalusians lay blue eggs. Do you know if they're crossed with anything at all? If you're unsure I'm sure someone on here could help if you post pics :)[/FONT]

The two eggs look VERY similar so...maybe they ARE both from her...

The hamburgs and Andolusian are Meyer Hatcher birds so...who knows :)

I'll try and post pix. Not that I MIND if they are both from her. Just curious and...hoping

here is a picture of the two eggs I collected on the same day. Slight difference in size and shading of blue.

I KNOW that I have two hamburgs (whether or not they are "pure" or not...they are from a hatcher so who knows). Here is a pix, however, of what we (meaning myself and this forum) think is an Andolusian. Not very recent, I'm afraid...she has a very large, red, floppy comb now:

I also have this little girl that we (again...my forum friends) think is an old english bantum:

here is the pix of the girl I KNOW lays my blue-tinted eggs...questioning whether or not she laid two that day (again, not recent but...it's her)

Hi again :)

The eggs DO look different to me so maybe you do have another blue/green egg layer!

I may be wrong, but I believe old english bantams hold their tail much higher and wings much lower.
I'm from the UK, we don't refer to any hens as "easter eggers" over here, but I see lot of people from the USA do. So, I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that hen maybe an EE?

Actually, I would put the old english as some type of game or if she has white earlobes a phoenix, but not an ee. But I am not the bantam expert, so she might be an old english game.

Back
Top Bottom