What chicken lays the largest brown egg? darkest egg?

openheartnurse

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
So I was wondering what chicken lays the largest brown egg and what chicken lays the darkest brown egg? and go.....

Will

In genreal, the various Marans lay the darkest brown eggs. And within the group, the Black Copper Marans are supposed to be the darkest.
That said, I have two BCMs. One lays a fairly dark chocolate egg, but would be considered a medium sized egg. The other hen lays a lighter chocolate egg, but extra large in size. I bought both as pullets from the same local breeder. You are not guaranteed size or color, but will only have confirmation once the egg laying begins.
HTH!

Black Copper Marans typically lay the darkest eggs, although much improvement in egg color has been made in the other color varieties, such as the Blue Coppers, Wheatens, and Cuckoos. Buy your birds from a reputable breeder, and ask to see the color of eggs their hens are laying, and how long they hold onto the color. Color can fade by a couple of shades within the laying season, and typically, the first week of eggs will be the darkest once they get going. My egg color needs improvement, but my girls usually lay a consistent 5+-6 color egg, and they pretty much stay within that color range for the laying season. I have some girls that lay large eggs, and one who lays a jumbo egg with some regularity, that is usually a double-yolker! If you are not concerned with showing or selling breeding stock, then shop around for the darkest layers. If you want birds that also conform to the SOP, well, then you are going to have to do some major research and shopping, as there are quite a few faults within this breed! Also, if you are expecting heavy egg laying, this is not the breed for you. These birds tend to be "slackers" as far as I'm concerned, as far as egg productivity goes!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have the copper marans, I do want some. However I have read the Penedesencas lay extremely dark eggs also.

Unfortunately I don't have the copper marans, I do want some. However I have read the Penedesencas lay extremely dark eggs also.

Not as dark as the Marans! Add to this, some Marans breeders have crossed Penedesencas with Marans, in hopes of getting darker eggs, which obviously didn't work!! So now, if you are breeding to the Marans SOP, you will have problems with the combs coming up like the Penes', IE Carnation combs! Do your serious research and ask many questions pertaining to this problem!!! If you only want dark eggs for your own personal use, go with the darkest eggs. If you even think you will want to try to breed for show /breeder birds, ASK SOME SERIOUS QUESTIONS, AND ASK BREEDERS FOR GUARANTEES AGAINST THE CARNATION COMBS! It in and of itself, is a DISQUALIFYING fault within the breed!!! This is a serious problem, and MANY don't know or won't tell of having it! The Marans thread on BYC will tell and show all you will need to see on this problem! If you can't find it, do a search for, "Carnation combs in Marans" here on BYC, and it should come up! This is a must read for those of you wanting to sell future eggs or chicks!!

Basically any type of maran lays dark eggs but Black Copper Marans lay the Darkest . The Breeds of chickens that lays the largest brown eggs are either Rhode Island Reds or Orpingtons.
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom