what chicken should I get?

You may want heritage breeds. These modern comercial breeds are taking over the chicken market, and the rare old-fasioned breeds need to be preserved while they still exist.
I try for variety myself, having 6 different breeds of pullets. what are the particular characteristics that your enterested in?

rhode island reds are really good and if you want a good egg layer and show quality then you should get a Wyandotte they are also really good around children

welcome-byc.gif
plus I'm new too so yep

All the suggestions made so far are great. If you want to know a bit more about each type of chicken, take a look at the Hendersons chicken breed chart (Google it). It will give you some idea of what to expect from each breed, but don't take everything on the chart as gospel. There are a few statements that I (& others) would disagree with.
For my personal favorites - RIRs' -freindly, good layers, Welsummers - good layers, beautiful eggs,can be friendly, Delaware (whites) - good layers, not overly friendly & Dominiques - friendly, average layer of medium eggs. If you handle them from the start they will likely be friendly. Sue

Back
Top Bottom