What chicken will lay white or brown?

Probably pekin ducks, they lay large white eggs. And I'm going to stick with those are duck eggs based on the way the shell color is uneven, that's what duck eggs look like.

One way to tell for sure if they are duck or chicken is to break one of each open in the same bowl. The chicken egg will have an egg white with a golden tint, while the duck egg will have a crystal clear egg white. But I agree, those do look just like duck eggs. A khaki campbell won't lay huge eggs like a pekin, but she should lay a lot more eggs.

Thanks guys. Sorry I have not been on here in a while. I have figured it out. Yes, they white are duck eggs. I am averaging 2 a day now from 3 of my ducks. With my chickens I am averaging 4 from 7. I am hoping that I will see more per day but what I have read on the forums is during the fall and winter due to less daylight the production slows down. I also have read some may place about a 15 watt light on during the cold months and due to the low light may not be enough to increase production. I just know it can get a little cold here around richmond va and worry about them. I know they have fethers and they are outdoor animals. What do yall do about their water to help keep it from freezing? I have a 5 gallon plastic waterer and I have seen how people have made like a cinder block type platform with a light bulb made into it that the waterer sits on. I don't want to buy a new one with a built in heater.

I personally use rubber bowls that I knock out any ice and refill with warm water twice a day, I don't like worry about electrical stuff mixed with water and flammable bedding.

Earlobe colour and eggshell colour aren't related. As a general rule of thumb it turns out by chance that white earlobed chickens lay white eggs, and red earlobed chickens lay brown eggs. But, that's not always the case. There are white earlobed chickens that lay brown eggs ( eg Penedesenca) and red earlobed chickens that lay white eggs (eg Dorkings). It gets messy when other breeds are crossed into a breed. When you cross a brown eggshell layer with a white eggshell one, it's very difficult to breed the tint out of the white eggs. It's very frustrating when you want a breed that lays white eggs, and the eggs end up tinted or pale brown because a brown eggshell layer was introduced into the breed. For example, White Hollands are supposed to lay a white egg. But, many don't.
Only the leghorns in your chicken flock lay white eggs. But, those white chickens in your photo don't look like leghorns to me. Pure bred leghorns do have white earlobes. The other breeds you have do have red earlobes, and will lay pale brown (tinted) to dark brown eggs, depending on the hen and their state of lay. Those white eggs look like duck eggs to me, too.

Yes all my white eggs are from my ducks. Learning more everyday with the help of all of you. My white chickens came from our local tractor supply store and that's what they told me they were. Tjis is my daughter's favorite who she named Onix.

Back
Top Bottom