What chickens make the most money and in what city?

Mikeshole

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 15, 2009
Wheres the best city to grow and sell silkie chickens? Given the 1,000s of factors that can thin out your profit margins; wheres my best shot?

pop.gif
Got to see this one... Are you willing to move to create a silkie ranch???

WAIT A MINUTE! You do know this is the Meat Bird section don't ya??? I have never heard of Silkies being raised for meat
lol.png

Last edited:
I think in Asia Silkies are a delicasy , delicaesie, Oh well can't spell that - You might try a city with a lot of Asian markets . Think there is a soup they make for eating that is medicinal. Good luck

Yes, they taste like chicken! I went to an Asian market and saw frozen Silkies that were $10 each.

Suzy

Yeah silkies are prized for their black meat/bone. They taste just like a normal chicken but has a lot to do with asian cultures.

Your not going to make any money on the silkie bantam, you need to get ahold of some standard silkies to make any kind of money with them.

Seattle, Portland, Columbus, Chicago, and of course New York City are all great selling cities... Are you planning to move for your venture of silkie raising?

$10.00 a chicken won't cut it, your going to need to at least make about $6-8 / pound if you want to survive.

Good Luck.

Yes, Ive got some money Ive been putting away for a couple years. Is $6 - $8 a pound seems rough. Basically Id have to market them myself Im guessing? How dramatic are the penalties for selling over $5,000 worth of chicken in a year?

Not if you find the right market. Especially if you move to a city like New york... or just outside of it. Eggs there go for like $8-12 / dozen. Chicken is just as high. To get going I would ask about $2-3 / lb and establish some customers. After you have customers lined up you can charge what you want..... or with whatever the market has them at. Especially with silkies as your raising birds for a very selective niche market.

As long as you have the right set up you can by-pass any law that's currently in place. Especially if you sell them live and process for free. But if your looking to get into reasturants and stores your looking into a whole new set of problems and may want to look into getting them USDA approved.

Marketing in a big city isn't going to be tough... stroll over to China town and give them some samples.... the rest is word of mouth.

Back
Top Bottom