What chickens make up your flock?

Pics

Reliablesquirrel

Songster
May 28, 2021
Ireland
Hi everyone, I joined BYC a few months or so ago, and everybody has been really helpful when I was trying to find out the gender/breed of my chicks (I’m so impatient when it comes to that sort of thing 😆). However, I feel as though I didn’t get get to know people very well, so I decide to make this thread asking you all to share what chickens you keep. I’m also quite new to keeping chickens so I’d love to see all the different breeds the people on here have. I will post my flock now, and everyone please do post about your chickens (or anything really 🤣).

My flock:
We have 10 chickens, who we are keeping in two separate coops, one with 1 cockerel and 4 hens, and another rooster-only flock with 5 cockerels.

Coop no.1

Two bluebells 1-2 years old
4A894D32-D870-4A62-A70F-7A825C73A4B5.jpeg

Mixed breed cockerel 3 months old
11E177F0-F286-4E52-AC1D-F58F969F36FB.jpeg

Mixed breed pullet 3 months old
CC324D87-8496-415C-A896-30E1F4AD186C.jpeg

Light Sussex mix pullet 2 months old
9360EBEF-7633-4821-822E-7C16ED5D0D61.jpeg

Coop no.2
5 light Sussex mix cockerels 2 months old (and 1 bantam who we have no idea what he is).
2EAB089B-593E-4361-A2DE-DCB43EF01A5A.jpeg

I have like 65 chickens and more on the way:
1 Barred Rock
2 Rohde Island Reds
1 Black Laced Red Wyandotte
2 "Production Reds"
1 Rohde Island White
3 Speckled Sussexes
2 Salmon Favorelles
4 Polish
10 Silkies (bantam)
1 Cochin Frizzle Bantam
2 d'Uccles (bantams)
1 "Columbian Rock Cross Bantam"
1 Brahma
3 Phoenix Bantams
2 Nankin Bantams
4 Buff Orpingtons
1 Golden Comet
2 Easter Eggers
21 mutt bantams
And one Mille Fleur Old English Game Bantam!

I have like 65 chickens and more on the way:
1 Barred Rock
2 Rohde Island Reds
1 Black Laced Red Wyandotte
2 "Production Reds"
1 Rohde Island White
3 Speckled Sussexes
2 Salmon Favorelles
4 Polish
10 Silkies (bantam)
1 Cochin Frizzle Bantam
2 d'Uccles (bantams)
1 "Columbian Rock Cross Bantam"
1 Brahma
3 Phoenix Bantams
2 Nankin Bantams
4 Buff Orpingtons
1 Golden Comet
2 Easter Eggers
21 mutt bantams
And one Mille Fleur Old English Game Bantam!
Oh wow that’s a lot of chickens! I haven’t even heard of some of those breeds 😅.

I also have 5 critically endangered Florida Cracker sheep and my Hampshire show lamb I'm training to pull a wagon!
That’s amazing, I’ve always wanted sheep!

We have:

14 Silkies

2 Red JungleFowl hybrids

2 Black Sumatras

1 Black Copper Marans

3 Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks

3 Buff Orpingtons

4 Project Wheaten Crele Orpingtons

7 Easter Eggers

1 Buff Orpington X Australorp

1 Buff Orpington/Australorp X RIR

1 Easter Egger X Brahma

1 Marans/Gamefowl cross

1 Marans/Gamefowl cross X Project Orpington

2 Old English Game Bantams

3 Porcelain D'uccles

2 Mille Fleur D'uccles

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X silkie

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X OEGB

1 Porcelain D'uccle X Silkie

1 Red JungleFowl hybrid X Silkie

1 Welsummer

2 Brahmas

1 Japanese Bantam mix

1 Old English Game bantam X Phoenix

7 Malays(Youngsters)

Hello! :) I haven't been on BYC too long either, but I love it! I also love that you made this thread, I always like seeing everyone's birds.

I currently have 22 chickens of my own 😂
I have 13 silkies (some regular, some satin, a sizzle and a couple showgirls)

I also have 5 Easter Eggers ,
1 Buff Brahma
& 3 Black Copper Marans (they were supposed to be anyways, but I think they're mixed)

I'm about to thin the flock, I have at least 4 roosters that I will be needing to find new homes for.

I'm considering buying some hatching eggs, even though I shouldn't ...😂 keeping chickens has become a lifestyle (dare I say addiction..) they're just so fun to have around :)

Growing up my dad always had chickens, guinea hens, turkey, quail, ducks, geese, pheasants and he now has turkey and peacocks. So, you can see where my liking chickens comes from.😂

Here are some pictures of my flock. The silkies live in a separate pin from my EEs,Brahma & BCMs. The pictures of the larger flock are not recent.

20210710_144121.jpg
20210710_144039.jpg
20210612_181048.jpg
20210605_183705.jpg
20210601_192527.jpg
20210601_192409.jpg
Screenshot_20210615-105132_Photos.jpg

Below are the chicks that really started me on my silkie journey. Moby, Daft & Dijon (I bet you can guess who is who)
Screenshot_20210710-170804_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210710-171009_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210710-170912_Photos.jpg

Dijon was my favorite girl. I had to rehome Moby, he was way too aggressive. I kept Daft, he was a wonderful & protective roo to Dijon. I have since lost both Dijon and Moby, Moby to a dog attack about a year and a half ago and Dijon to a mite infestation that caused her to become anemic. I tried my best to nurse her back to health but she never recovered. :( I think if I had been on this forum sooner I would have known how to better treat her & would have been able to catch the problem before it progressed. It was a very hard lesson learned, like most lessons are. But I'm very grateful for all that I've learned from BYC & the wonderful community here.

We have:

14 Silkies

2 Red JungleFowl hybrids

2 Black Sumatras

1 Black Copper Marans

3 Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks

3 Buff Orpingtons

4 Project Wheaten Crele Orpingtons

7 Easter Eggers

1 Buff Orpington X Australorp

1 Buff Orpington/Australorp X RIR

1 Easter Egger X Brahma

1 Marans/Gamefowl cross

1 Marans/Gamefowl cross X Project Orpington

2 Old English Game Bantams

3 Porcelain D'uccles

2 Mille Fleur D'uccles

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X silkie

1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB X OEGB

1 Porcelain D'uccle X Silkie

1 Red JungleFowl hybrid X Silkie

1 Welsummer

2 Brahmas

1 Japanese Bantam mix

1 Old English Game bantam X Phoenix

7 Malays(Youngsters)
Again, so many unusual birds! And for me, 10 chickens is a lot to look after...😅

Chicks:
4 Project Giant Silkie

4 Porcelain D'uccles

3 Project Wheaten Crele Orpingtons

1 Buff Orpington
Aww I bet they’re really cute! Did u hatch them yourself? For me, there is nothing like watching the chick come out of the egg. However, next time we will probably go for sexed day old chicks, don’t want to end up with anymore Roos than we already have!

Hi everyone, I joined BYC a few months or so ago, and everybody has been really helpful when I was trying to find out the gender/breed of my chicks (I’m so impatient when it comes to that sort of thing 😆). However, I feel as though I didn’t get get to know people very well, so I decide to make this thread asking you all to share what chickens you keep. I’m also quite new to keeping chickens so I’d love to see all the different breeds the people on here have. I will post my flock now, and everyone please do post about your chickens (or anything really 🤣).

My flock:
We have 10 chickens, who we are keeping in two separate coops, one with 1 cockerel and 4 hens, and another rooster-only flock with 5 cockerels.

Coop no.1

Two bluebells 1-2 years old
View attachment 2754627

Mixed breed cockerel 3 months old
View attachment 2754629

Mixed breed pullet 3 months old
View attachment 2754631

Light Sussex mix pullet 2 months old
View attachment 2754634

Coop no.2
5 light Sussex mix cockerels 2 months old (and 1 bantam who we have no idea what he is).
View attachment 2754635
I have a lot
1 Silkie
1 Showgirl Naked Neck
17 ISA BROWNS
7 Ameraucanas
5 Cochins
6 Wyandotte
3 Bantam Cochins
3 Black Sex Links
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Australorp
5 Sumatras
8 Splash Wyandottes

soon to add
15 duccles

Last edited:
Hello! :) I haven't been on BYC too long either, but I love it! I also love that you made this thread, I always like seeing everyone's birds.

I currently have 22 chickens of my own 😂
I have 13 silkies (some regular, some satin, a sizzle and a couple showgirls)

I also have 5 Easter Eggers ,
1 Buff Brahma
& 3 Black Copper Marans (they were supposed to be anyways, but I think they're mixed)

I'm about to thin the flock, I have at least 4 roosters that I will be needing to find new homes for.

I'm considering buying some hatching eggs, even though I shouldn't ...😂 keeping chickens has become a lifestyle (dare I say addiction..) they're just so fun to have around :)

Growing up my dad always had chickens, guinea hens, turkey, quail, ducks, geese, pheasants and he now has turkey and peacocks. So, you can see where my liking chickens comes from.😂

Here are some pictures of my flock. The silkies live in a separate pin from my EEs,Brahma & BCMs. The pictures of the larger flock are not recent.

View attachment 2754709View attachment 2754712View attachment 2754714View attachment 2754715View attachment 2754721View attachment 2754723View attachment 2754731
Below are the chicks that really started me on my silkie journey. Moby, Daft & Dijon (I bet you can guess who is who)
View attachment 2754754
View attachment 2754741View attachment 2754742
Dijon was my favorite girl. I had to rehome Moby, he was way too aggressive. I kept Daft, he was a wonderful & protective roo to Dijon. I have since lost both Dijon and Moby, Moby to a dog attack about a year and a half ago and Dijon to a mite infestation that caused her to become anemic. I tried my best to nurse her back to health but she never recovered. :( I think if I had been on this forum sooner I would have known how to better treat her & would have been able to catch the problem before it progressed. It was a very hard lesson learned, like most lessons are. But I'm very grateful for all that I've learned from BYC & the wonderful community here.
Such a beautiful flock! Thank you for taking the time to post pictures, they are all so pretty 😍. I especially love your silkies, they are my favourite breed. Thinking about getting them next time, but I was afraid that the breed would need a lot more care than other types of chickens. So sorry about Dijon, we also get very attached to our birds (hence why we are attempting to keep a rooster flock 🤣).

Back
Top Bottom