What color are Call duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThePolishPrincess, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My new young calls were born late July so I'm guessing I won't expect eggs until....well...when exactly? Spring or summer? I'm so used to my Muscovies, I never knew Calls could be soooo different!

Also, what color are the eggs? And do they have that 'texture' that other ducks' eggs have? [​IMG] As a duck owner, I recently discovered this information would be great to know. [​IMG] You know?

2. jmhappycowboy

jmhappycowboy The Egg Wrangler

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia, MS
    My gray call ducks lay a greenish colored egg and yes they have the same texture as other duck eggs.

3. ThePolishPrincess

That's good to know. A breeder nearby told us once that her Calls laid blue eggs and another online said that theirs laid white eggs. [​IMG] As long as I can tell them apart from my chickens' eggs, that's cool.

Thanks for responding so quickly. [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

MIne lay light greenish eggs too. Calls are seasonal layers so you can expect them to start laying early next spring. Mine usually start laying eggs towards the end of March thru June.

5. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Call ducks lay a light blue-green tinted egg (i.e. a white egg with a blue-green tint). They look like the blue-green tinted ones below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. ThePolishPrincess

Awesome, thank you all. [​IMG] Can't wait! [​IMG]

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My blue fawns lay a darker green egg, some lay a light green and the rest lay a pinkish white.

8. robear1966

robear1966 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    I have 2 west Indies, and they are laying a dark green egg, I thought they were chicken eggs until I seen her on the nest, what a surprise

9. robear1966

robear1966 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    I have 2 west Indies, and they are laying a dark green egg, I thought they were chicken eggs until I seen her on the nest, what a surprise

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by