what color are duck eggs?

chicksnducks

Songster
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Durant OK
I have a pair of ducks and 16 chickens. I am not sure what color duck eggs are. I just found 25 eggs hidden in one place in the barn. I put them under my broody cause her eggs were duds. she sat for 28 days and nothing. I put this bunch under her and started counting... again. If any are duck eggs can she hatch them?
also, someone told me that you shouldn't touch the eggs with bare hands...is that true???
we are very new at the egg hatching things.
thanks...one more question...what type of light should we use to candle???

It depends on the breed of duck, but duck eggs are usually bigger then chicken eggs. And yes your chicken should be able to hatch duck eggs.

And I have never heard that you shouldn't touch them, I touch mine plenty and still manage to hatch them, so I would say that is a myth. And I use a regular flash light.

Last edited:
I would leave the eggs for the ducks to hatch so they can take the ducklings for a swimming lesson and teach them to dry their tummies etc.
Ive just had my first duckling hatch and its lovely to watch the mumma duck teach her babies.
But yes a chicken can hatch out duck eggs!!

My duck eggs have a different texture and are king of a pearly white. A hen will hatch them but they do take longer then chicken eggs. I haven't had my coffee this morning so I can't tell you how much longer. I think about 28 days.

Cayugas lay black eggs or dark gray, that fade to a light blue towards the end of laying season. It is why I got one this spring, unfortunately she died as a 4 say duckling.
hit.gif
I think usually ducks lay white eggs though.

They also take higher humidity. I spray mine with warm warter when I turn them in the incubator. I love my Ducks. I raise Welsh Harlequins. I'll start hatching in Feb.

Back
Top Bottom