What color are these Ameraucanas going to be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bil, May 14, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Well this really isn't a breed or gender question but I thought this was the best place to post this.

Here are 5 chicks that I just hatched out from some eggs that I purchased with some Black Australorp eggs. I don't know much about Ameraucanas and they are very cute chicks so I would like to find out what color to call these. Thanks for any help you can give.

Chick 1 (ok, I'm pretty sure this one is going to be a Buff)
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]

Chick 5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for helping me learn! [​IMG]

Bil

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    They Look like Easter egger chicks(mixed breed coloured egg layers with beards and muffs that hatcheries sell as Araucana/Ameraucana) to me so they will feather out to who knows what unidentifiable colour(since they are a mixed breed), so you can call them whatever your heart feels like.

They sure are cute!!

Anna

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    From the EE chicks I have and have had, I would say the first one is going to be a mixture of light brown and white. The yellow usually turns white. The others will be pretty much the same darkish mix. Just a guess from my experience these past two years.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
  5. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Here are some very good photos, from the Ameraucans breeders website.
    http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

You have some cute birds, there! From viewing the Ameraucana site, I would say that your brownish birds will be Silver Ameraucanas - cool!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they are Easter Eggers, you won't be able to tell exactly what color they'll be. If they are from a breeder of true Ameraucanas, just look on the breeders club website and see the color photos.

7. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    They look like EE. Its hard to tell what EE are going to like grown up because they are mixed breed.

Green legs= Easter egger.

8. hyzenthlay

hyzenthlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
  9. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Mine looked like #2. and here is the head of mine now...it's mostly black and white at 7 weeks.

[​IMG]

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    They're very cute chicks! What color eggs did the seller send you? Were they blue or green? If they were green eggs, your chicks are easter eggers (which is the kind I have & love). Most ameraucana breeders would let you know what color ameraucanas to expect, but many egg sellers don't realize the difference and think they are sending 'ameraucana' eggs out, but they're really sending what we know as EE's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by