What Color are these Ameraucanas?

HidingInTheHenHouse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Indianapolis
It is the mixed color cockerals I don't know about. I can figure out buff, black, and white obviously, but the ones that are gray, yellow, and white, I'm just not sure about.
I know you can have Wheaten, Blue Wheaton, Wheaton Splash, and Blue Wheaten Splash, but I can't figure this out.

There are 3. One is darker, one medium, and one light bluish.

One in front is the medium; in back is the light one.
12215_ameraucanas_8_wk.jpg

Darkest one rear left; medium one rear right; light one in front.
12215_ameraucana8_-_8_wk.jpg

Light one in center; darkest one off to the right.
12215_ameraucanas4_-_8_wk.jpg

Medium one
12215_ameraucanas5_-_8_wk.jpg

Darkest one
12215_ameraucanas6_-_8_wk.jpg

Light one in front, darkest one in back
12215_ameraucanas7_-_8_wk.jpg

I have no clue, but I just wanted to say that they are lovely. I have never seen that shade of EE. I've been wanting some so badly and I have to stop myself from ordering eggs every day. Now I want that color, so I need to know where you got them. Please tell me that it's possible to get that color combo. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!

They do lay blue eggs, although 8 week old pullets do not. I really don't want this to become a discussion on whether or not these are Ameraucanas. I already know they are. I just wanted to know what color(s) the cockerals were considered, since I am not experienced with those particular colors.

I just saw a thread about some strange colored orps. Sorta like yours, with blue and gold. If I remember correctly, someone said that could happen when you cross a blue with a buff. Maybe that's what happened?

I'll find the thread and post a link.

I don't have any ameraucanas myself - your chickens are very pretty colors.

I don't think I can put the link on here, but if you google "ameraucana breeers club" and then click on "photos" (a link on their first page), you'll be able to see what all the colors of ameraucana hens & roosters look like. They don't look like the wheaten rooster pictures, but maybe it's because they are too young? I'm not sure how much they will change between 8 weeks old & fullgrown - maybe quite a bit.

Another possiblity for you is to e-mail the breeder who sold them to you and ask them what color they are (you can send her the link to this thread). The breeder should know the colors.

I see a white ameraucana and a black ameraucana in the pics. There may also be a buff, but it appears clean faced. The others look like non-standard colors, but I'm not familiar with the wheaton colors as they grow out, so maybe check with Pips N Peeps on those to see what she thinks. I'm pretty sure she has that color variety.

I can see a white and black, the other two are technically EE's.

Unless they are some sort of wheaton or silver - I've never seen those colors in younger birds before - but neither really look to be turning that way to me.

Ameraucanas can lay a green egg, they aren't supposed to, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom