What color are YOUR Easter Egger's eggs?

Pics
So far, mine are a pastel blue and a light olive green. Diesn't show as much in the pictures as in person. The brown ones are from my black copper marans. Mine just started laying about 1 week ago, and it seemed like the wait took forever, but they are doing pretty good.

I'm getting some Easter Egger pullets next week and if I wanted to breed more in the future, either to expand or simply replace/replenish my flock, what would be the best 'breed' of rooster to get in order to obtain the best variety and or intensity of color in the eggs layed by the offspring?

That is, of course, assuming the laying hens themselves give decent color eggs and that EE's even can be bred from other EE hens.

Last edited:
A Cream Legbar rooster would work, as long as he comes from a line that actually lays blue eggs. He would pass his blue gene giving you blue or green eggs no matter what color egg your hens lay.
So you're saying the blue gene which y'all say is dominant wouldn't dilute out the recessive brown or white genes that create the colors other than blue (green, cream, pink and so on)? That is what has me confused. (Please pardon my ignorance, I'm neither a genetisist, bioligist or even a breeder. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkieChickenLover336

Looks like I have to get an EE now
1f602.png
Yeah, seductive aren't they?
bun.gif

Last edited:
Thre are two egg shell colors. Blue and white. A brown egg is a white egg shell with a brown "coating".

A green egg is a blue egg shell with a brown coating.

A tan or pink egg is a white egg shell with a tiny amount of brown coating.

Blue is dominant, so a rooster with a blue egg gene bred to hens with white egg gene will produce pullets that will lay blue eggs.

A blue egg gene rooster bred to a brown egg layer will produce pullets that lay green eggs.

Does this help you understand?

Thre are two egg shell colors. Blue and white. A brown egg is a white egg shell with a brown "coating".

A green egg is a blue egg shell with a brown coating.

A tan or pink egg is a white egg shell with a tiny amount of brown coating.

Blue is dominant, so a rooster with a blue egg gene bred to hens with white egg gene will produce pullets that will lay blue eggs.

A blue egg gene rooster bred to a brown egg layer will produce pullets that lay green eggs.

Does this help you understand?
Somewhat, I think. So you're saying the blue egg gene has nothing to do with the hen adding any brown to it, that's controlled by something else entirely and will not be affected by the egg color genes?

Both the shell color and the coating color are controlled by genes, but separate genes.
IIRC, there are way more genes that control coating color than there are genes that control shell color.
That's what I meant, they weren't controlled by the same genetic factor. Kinda like eye color and nearsightedness in humans. Both affect the eyes but are caused by different genes, neither one connected with the other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom