What color chicks would I get if I crossed a Favorelle Rooster with my hens?

Sep 15, 2020
Vermillion, South Dakota
I have absolutely no idea how poultry genetics work! But I have an incubator, a Salmon Favorelle Rooster, and some Buff Orpington & Barred Rock Hens. If I hatched their eggs what colors could the chicks be? Would the males be different colors then the females like the Favorelles are? And what are the odds of them being bearded?

I have absolutely no idea how poultry genetics work! But I have an incubator, a Salmon Favorelle Rooster, and some Buff Orpington & Barred Rock Hens. If I hatched their eggs what colors could the chicks be? Would the males be different colors then the females like the Favorelles are? And what are the odds of them being bearded?
Don't know colors, probably won't be bearded (think that's recessive) but will have 5 toes and feathered feet probably

Using the trusty colour calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator
It looks like the salmon rooster and buff hens will give you mostly buff chicks though possibly with silver leakage on the cockerels so may be sex linked (not sure how easy it would be to tell apart visually), the barred rock cross will give you barred cockerels and plain black (possibly with leakage) hens. I thought bearded was dominant so i think you'd get that but i'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom