What Color Cochin am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by friedbluebanana, May 18, 2012.

1. friedbluebanana

friedbluebanana In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hello all, this is Clementine, my very first Cochin. Since she is my first, I am not too familiar with them, and how they feather in and such. She was sold to us as a Black Cochin - but she is certainly not feathering in black! As she is getting older, she is getting lighter and developing a lot of white that she didn't have before. This seems strange to me, with each day that passes (and the lighter she gets) I am starting to think she is a different color. The top of her head is turning white, and her chest is feathering in very white/light gray color. I don't care too much what color she ends up being - she is such a love! - I am just curious. Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance!

Here she is then....and now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    From those pictures it looks like it has a pea comb. It could be a Brahma, as they have pea combs. Can you get a head/comb shot?

3. friedbluebanana

Jul 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Really does look a lot more like a brahma than a cochin

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My black Cochin chicks usually have a few white feathers as youngins, but they molt out and turn all black. Cochins have straight combs, I agree that yours is a brahma, a dark brahma I believe. Good luck!

6. friedbluebanana

Jul 20, 2011
    A brahma huh? I have a buff brahma (looks totally differently obviously), so I hadn't even considered the other colors of brahmas! Well, whatever she is, she is definately a sweetheart. The sweetest chick I have, besides my naked neck :) Well, thank you so much for your input. I will definately watch her comb and look out for those brahma characteristics. And if anybody else has any input, I would love to hear it as well.

7. that looks like a dark brahma

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say she's a dark Brahma then.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Songster

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    you'll love her as a dark brahma they are just wonder..
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: