What Color Do You Call These Ameracaunas?

Break an Egg

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
San Antonio
Hi, I just got 3 Ameracauna chicks from the feed store today and I don't know much about them except they are pullets, they came from ideal, and one is blonde with a dark stripe, one is brown headed with a dark stripe, and the last is red headed with a dark stripe:
Are all of these girls the same thing as easter eggers?

and two of them have puffy cheeks like this!

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
12 Years
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
They would be easter eggers, which is not an ameraucana, and usually it is hard to determine what colors they will be when they grow up.

Nuggetsowner:)

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Minnesota
I got five "amerucana's" from my local feed store three weeks ago and a couple look like the ones you have. The are beginning to feather out and so far the colors have not changed much. I really don't know as this is the first time I have had this variety. I know most of them are really the mutt Easter Eggers right.?.

Break an Egg

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
San Antonio
Nuggetsowner:) :

I got five "amerucana's" from my local feed store three weeks ago and a couple look like the ones you have. The are beginning to feather out and so far the colors have not changed much. I really don't know as this is the first time I have had this variety. I know most of them are really the mutt Easter Eggers right.?.

I'm beginning to think so, I read on the Henderson's Breed Chart that true Amerucanas are rare. It's okay though, they are still cute.​

ella

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Aboard the the Heart of Gold
Yeah, if you buy an Ameraucana/Arucana from a hatchery it IS an Easter Egger. It's awfully silly that all the hatchery's call them Ameraucana's.

But you've got some cute healthy chicks there. That's always good!

I would suspect that the bottom one could end up a nice partridge color. It'll be neat to see how they turn out, someone here ended up with some really pretty Blue/Buff hens.

Top Bottom