1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Color Do You Call These Ameracaunas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Break an Egg, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hi, I just got 3 Ameracauna chicks from the feed store today and I don't know much about them except they are pullets, they came from ideal, and one is blonde with a dark stripe, one is brown headed with a dark stripe, and the last is red headed with a dark stripe:
    Are all of these girls the same thing as easter eggers?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and two of them have puffy cheeks like this!

[​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    They would be easter eggers, which is not an ameraucana, and usually it is hard to determine what colors they will be when they grow up.

3. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Oh thanks, I hope I get some pretty eggs.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There is also no way to tell what color eggs they will lay. They are pretty hardy birds and should be lots of fun.

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I got five "amerucana's" from my local feed store three weeks ago and a couple look like the ones you have. The are beginning to feather out and so far the colors have not changed much. I really don't know as this is the first time I have had this variety. I know most of them are really the mutt Easter Eggers right.?.

6. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Nuggetsowner:) :

I got five "amerucana's" from my local feed store three weeks ago and a couple look like the ones you have. The are beginning to feather out and so far the colors have not changed much. I really don't know as this is the first time I have had this variety. I know most of them are really the mutt Easter Eggers right.?.

I'm beginning to think so, I read on the Henderson's Breed Chart that true Amerucanas are rare. It's okay though, they are still cute.​

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, if you buy an Ameraucana/Arucana from a hatchery it IS an Easter Egger. It's awfully silly that all the hatchery's call them Ameraucana's. [​IMG]

But you've got some cute healthy chicks there. That's always good! [​IMG]

I would suspect that the bottom one could end up a nice partridge color. It'll be neat to see how they turn out, someone here ended up with some really pretty Blue/Buff hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by