what color do you reccomend

Becky89*

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
pennsylvania
I have one female Pearl guinea hen named Taylor. I am thinking of getting some more but I don't know what color. Will a different color nest better than another or is the only difference between them color? I love how the coral blue look but then the lavender are adorable too. Taylor will have a new boyfriend by tomorrow thanks to my freed dealer friend. He's bringing me a male pearl. I only have room for two more guineas.

I think pretty much all colors are the same broody/nesting wise.

We've owned Pearl Grey, White, Royal Purple, and Lavender. We lost the Royal Purple which was a shame because they were so pretty when the sun shone on their chest and neck. I think that the Lavenders are my favorite, they're just so pretty. But I would like to get more new colors, like chocolate, some replacement Royal Purple, and varieties of blue.

It's just annoying that you have to order a minimum of 25 or 30 keets from some hatcheries.

I agree about the whites being more prone to predators getting them. I had some white ones for a while, but then the owls discovered them and plucked them out of the trees at night.

Quote:
I have no problem with ordering large numbers.Myfeed dealer helps me order them and he'll take whatever I don't want and resell to others
big_smile.png

Any light colored bird would be easy prey. I have buff dundottes, and haven't lost any yet
he.gif
(<---me knocking on wood) I have 5 adults and 9 week-old keets.

I don't think there is a difference in smarts between the colors, so just pic the one you like the best and go with it. Lavenders are very pretty!! I think those are my faves. I have one baby lavender in the brooder, hopefully it makes it! I had 3 last fall, and lost everyone of them
sad.png

Here is some buff dundotte eye candy for you
big_smile.png

PICT0514.jpg

PICT0505.jpg

PICT0504.jpg

Becky89* wrote:
I have no problem with ordering large numbers.My feed dealer helps me order them and he'll take whatever I don't want and resell to others
big_smile.png

I was wondering where in PA you are... I'm in NE PA and haven't found anybody who will do that...

We had darker colored ones, and they did well with not getting picked off by predators, but they were guineas... Probably no more explanation needed there
tongue2.gif
I really love all the different colors they come in, it's so hard to choose!!

Becky89* :

Quote:
I have no problem with ordering large numbers.Myfeed dealer helps me order them and he'll take whatever I don't want and resell to others
big_smile.png

Well Becky, I meant like, ordering directly from a hatchery. The first time we ordered from the feed store we ended up with white keets instead of lavender. (We questioned this at the store but she kind of shrugged it off, and we didn't know enough about keets and colors then.)

Shelley, your guineas are so pretty! I love the mother and keets together. I'm gonna have to get some buff dundottes
smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png

Well Becky, I meant like, ordering directly from a hatchery. The first time we ordered from the feed store we ended up with white keets instead of lavender. (We questioned this at the store but she kind of shrugged it off, and we didn't know enough about keets and colors then.)

Shelley, your guineas are so pretty! I love the mother and keets together. I'm gonna have to get some buff dundottes
smile.png

They are pretty, but there is an even better reason to get dundottes.
big_smile.png
Pure buff dundottes are sexable at birth by their colors.....it looks like this bunch is mostly girls
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom