What color egg would a White Leghorn/RIR cross lay?

All of the chicks are yellow with various amounts of red and black on them. A friend had some and his were all yellow also. Some are hens and some are roosters. Mine are from a red roo and white hen. I have read that you can't get sex linked chickens from a white leghorn because they don't have some specific gene that's required for sex linked offspring.

idunno.gif

Well, shoot. I got all excited when I read this, since I have 7 White Leghorn hens and I have my RIR roo with them right now. I was wanting to maybe incubate some of the eggs, thinking this would be a good cross. That would be neat if they were sex-linked, but I guess they wouldn't be?

Since I asked this my husband has told me that he has a friend that has some chickens of this same cross. He said they all basically look like white leghorns with red patches, hens and roosters. I just hatched some chicks of this cross, with the roo being the RIR and the hen being the leghorn. 4 of my chicks are yellow with black spots. One is yellow with reddish streaks. I am told they will all be the same when grown, though. Here is the one with more red on it.
28482_079.jpg

Last edited:
I hatched some of these and I couldn't tell when they were chicks if they were male of female but as the males grew it was obvious early on which ones were roo's because their combs turned red as soon as they started feathering out. They look like WLH with a few black feathers. The hen is mostly white with some red tented feathers around her head.The roo's started crowing at 10 week old. My BSL and RIR roo's still aren't crowing and they are 13 weeks old. They only have a few more weeks till freezer camp!!! I thought they were called Amber Links.

Maybe I am wrong. I know zilch about genetics and I am certain our friend doesn't know a thing about this either. I will have to do some research when I get home. One is white with reddish streaks and the other 4 are white with black spots. I would hate to think I have 4 roos but I hope the red one is a pullet. She is the calm sweet one that I hope to keep. The other 4 are going to auction this weekend most likely.

I can't edit my last post for some reason from my cell phone so I will just reply with my correction. I meant to say the chicks are yellow not white. I guess I was thinking about what color their adult feathers will be.

I thought I would post some pic's of mine from chicks to 13 weeks. Parents are RIR roo & WLH hen

The 4 yellow ones are the Amber Links the red ones are RIR...
017-1.jpg

019-3.jpg

Pullet, 5 weeks
032-3.jpg

Roo, 5 weeks
035-4.jpg

Hen 13 weeks
025-7.jpg

Roo's 13 weeks
018-6.jpg

Edited to say, if anyone wants these 2 beautiful Roo's and can pick them up, they are YOUR'S........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom