What color eggs do you think?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RL, Apr 4, 2011.

1. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I have three Ameraucana/EE hens. Two are pure white, one is white with buff coloring on her head, sholders and chest, all three have blue/green legs and lay a blueish green egg, more green then blue. They mated with my two roosters. One is a Light Brahma and the other is a Light brahma/Barred Rock mix.

Some of the chicks hatched out mostly yellow with brown/black streeks or splotches on their heads and back, some like a Black sex-link, but a lighter black, no white spot on the top of the head. The yellow chicks legs are yellow to a pinkish yellow with a few having feathered legs. The black chicks legs look like a barred rocks chicks legs with the black wash on the front. All the chicks look to have at least muffs. I was thinking they would have or at least some of them would have the Blue/Green legs, but none do. So, I was just wondering, assuming I get any females from this hatch, what ya'll think the egg color might be from this type of cross?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So, the hens are Easter Eggers then, not Ameraucanas, yes? [​IMG]

The egg color from the offspring are likely all to be green, you may get some brownish green or strictly brown eggs too.

3. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    They look like all the Ameraucana pictures I have looked at, but they probably lean more toward being EE's. So yes, they probably are.

4. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    So green, green/brown or just brown. That is what I was thinking, but wanted to ask. Thanks.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A pic of the EE hen's eggs may help. Some greenish layers are just greenish in color, some are actually heterozygous for the blue egg. Those ones will give you more brown than green eggs.

6. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    The ones, if any, with a pea comb will give you a better chance of blue/green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: