What color eggs will designer chickens produce?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by addiedunn, Apr 4, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Right now, Attack Chicken has 11 of my eggs in her incubator. We had been talking about splitting an order of chicks at TSC, but something went completely haywire and we decided to just incubate mine since she was firing her bator up for some banty eggs, anyway.
    I have spent the last hour and a half searching for my answer before I posted but I'm still confused. [​IMG] What color eggs will the mutts lay? Since they chickens involved are all brown layers, will the eggs be brown or will I be surprised with a weird color? (blues, greens, etc.)

My chickens are listed in my sig line.....

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well your roo came from a brown egg, and so do all of your hens, so more likely than not, any pullets that come from those eggs will produce brown eggs.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't see anything in here that will give you anything other than some shade of brown. Now which shade? That's the fun with mutts. You never know what you are getting.

4. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thank you guys. I figured that, too, but somehow in my reading I got MORE confused and thought I'd end up with some green or blue. But I'm good with brown.
    I just can't wait to see what the chicks look like when they are full grown!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by