What color eggs would they produce?

msheets

Songster
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Hurricane, WV
I have a black Ameracauna rooster (split to lavender) that came from very dark olive eggs. I also have some BCM & Cuckoo Maran pullets, the BCM lay very dark rich colored eggs with the cuckoos a medium brown. What color eggs would their offspring produce? Here's my young cockerel:

If your Ameraucana came from an olive egg, its not actually an Ameraucana rooster, but an Easter Egger. True Ameraucanas lay only pure blue eggs. Most hatcheries cross these blue egg laying Ameraucanas with other breeds to produce hybrid "Easter Eggers" that lay eggs in different colors, but they market them as Aracaunas (true Aracaunas are tailless and lay blue eggs as well) or Ameraucanas (frequently misspelled as Americana or Americauna). If you want to know more about the differences between Araucanas, Ameraucanas, and Easter Eggers, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the differences. The problem with breeding Easter Eggers is that they are hybrids and so there is no way of knowing what color of egg gene they will pass to their offspring. Most likely if you breed your Easter Egger rooster to a Marans, you will likely just get more dark brown eggs (he may be half Marans already from one of his parents). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! He came from a breeder that has black & lavender, with several generations of them consistently looking like him...

Back
Top Bottom