What color is this Ameraucana Hen???

Quote:
They are as is blue wheaten but breeding a BW rooster with pullets those colors do not give you a standard color I believe. Still learning alot about color genetics.
smile.png

The black, blue and splash breeding will work the same; however, they will inherit the wheaten genes from only the wheaten parent, so the outcome will be less than perfect wheaten. Depending on the e-allele of the non-wheaten parent, the birds could be black, blue or splash (possibly with leakage), or may be wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten.

Colour on a forum can be very inaccurate: it really depends on the camera and its settings (along with lighting conditions) as well as everyones' individual computer graphics cards and settings. Since the OP says the legs are definitely slate and not green, I think we should take her work on it.

I love the E.E. versus Ameraucana argument!

I do hope no one takes offense at my doing this but I call all of my E.E.s Ameraucanas! I have a White "Ameraucana" that has the greenest legs I have ever seen!

I don't sell E.E.s as Ameraucanas, I tell potential buyers that they are E.E.s!

I had some of my E.E. hatching eggs listed as "Americana Easter Eggers" on Ebay and the words "Check my website for E.E. Hatching eggs" in my signature on here and I had someone write to me and ask why I was trying to mislead! I asked if they found my auction by clicking on my 'Website' link and I never got a response back!

In the real world of 'Banties', 'Leggerns' and 'Fryers', most people use the 'Americana' or even 'Marracanuh'! I gave up trying to explain the concept of Easter Eggers after a 20 minute discussion with my local feed store proprietress, in which she got completely offended and now calls me the Easter Egg guy!

They're your chickens, call them what you want!

Quote:
Thank you Sonoran for the explaination. I figure they will wind up with leakage or in the instance of black chicks (I have two right now that are black) they could carry the leakage in their genes? Sorry OP I am not trying to hijack your thread
hide.gif
Sonoran, if you would like to reply to my question, please PM me.

Well now here I go. It seems to me that from all my reading a bird may look one color but if there is another in the line somewhere down the road it could pop up. So how on earth can anyone be sure that what they are getting or breeding will breed true? Seems to me that if you draw a family tree you might find a rogue sitting on one of the branches and that rogue is going to show up when you least expect it.

As far as a loose rooster is concerned no one should have such a thing happening. I have Nick and his girls and no Don Juan is getting in that pen without a shovel or pair of wire cutters!
lol.png

That said, a color can not always be guaranteed to breed true IMO based on what I've read on this forum. Once you start crossing colors your dead in the water. After that it's a crap shoot.

Now I intend to buy four lavender chicks from hinkjc, what am I to say if there are two black genes that just happen to click at the right roll of the dice? Or can anyone guarantee this will not happen? I won't
hit.gif
, such is life.

OP, she lays blue eggs? I'd be glad if all three of my EE's laid green/blue eggs but they don't so I can live with that for now. She's a pretty bird, give her a hug for me.

It is what it is. (I have no idea what this means but folks say it all the time and it seemed appropriate
lol.png
)

Rancher

Quote:
Your lavender birds WILL have two copies of the black gene (some combination of the E-alleles) however, as they will have two copies of the lavender gene any black pigment in their plumage should be diluted. If not, they are not pure lav.

WOW, what a "can o worms" I opened. Ignorance is bliss? I sure did learn lot about Ameraucanas today though. Want to thank you all and I'll be sure to tell my "slate shanked" gal ( even on my computer they look slate.) how famous her picture is and give her hugs from all her new friends. I don't really care what she is. Just wanted to see if she was a recognized color and now I know. I also know what a lucky gal I am to have such a pretty little hen that sits on the stall wall and talks to me every day. Have a super day and I appreciate you all.

Back
Top Bottom