What color is this Ameraucana Hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Junkies, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

My Ameraucana hen is red and blue with gold in her hackle feathers. She has slate gray shafts. Is this a recognized color and if so, what color is it? Just wondering as I don't know a lot about Ameraucanas. Here is a photo of her.

[​IMG]

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    She's an Easter Egger, not Ameraucana. There aren't names for EE colors as there is no standard for them. Pretty girl though!

3. Chicken Junkies

I bought her from a breeder who only raises Ameraucanas. What makes her an EE and not an Ameraucana? She lays beautiful big blue eggs. She has the muff and beard. Just wondering why a reputable breeder would sell me an EE. [​IMG]

4. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    the color you have looks to be a cross between wheaten and buff.

but she would not be able to be shown as either color, as she is mixed.

5. Chicken Junkies

Ah, now that makes sense. Still miffed that she sold me a bird not to standard. I think I paid enough to get a good bird. [​IMG] So much for finding a good breeder.

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Sorry to hear about the breeder. [​IMG] I hope it was just an honest mistake and he/she wasn't trying to rip you off!

To me, she looks buff, but I don't know much about Ameraucanas, so don't take my word for it. [​IMG]

She is still very lovely, though. A truly beautiful bird; she looks like a little sweetheart. [​IMG]

7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    What colours did the breeder raise? If they were all multi coloured and not one of the- i think- 8 recognised colours then they are breeding/selling EEs.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    There are two thoughts to whether she is EE or Ameraucana. If she is pure bred Ameraucana but not standard color, she could still be considered an Ameraucana. Others might consider her an EE since she is not standard color. I have asked this question in the past and have gotten both answers. I have a BW roo, one black pullet, two blue pullets and a splash pullet. I am calling the cross of these EE's to let people know that they are not a standard color. If you are looking for true standard color Ameraucanas, I know that Pips and Peeps sells and ships day old chicks. If it makes you feel any better, three of my pullets are laying and they all lay green/bluish green eggs. Still hoping for a blue egg layer in the splash. She is a very pretty hen that you have and as long as you are not showing, enjoy her and your blue eggs. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All I can say is, though she is not to standard, she is very beautiful. Could have been a buff/blue pairing or wheaten/buff, depending on the colors the breeder raises. Roosters have been known to get into the wrong pen on occasion.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:One could raise an easter egger with standard colours if one chose to; most do not. Anyways, if the colour meets the standard discription, it is that colour, regardless of breed (or mutt).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by