What color is this? And Sex-pic heavy

missevie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Dallas
This is my mothers bird and at first I thought it was a female, but after looking at the pics enlarged, it looks like "she" has the orange primaries. So now I don't know. I have no clue what color she is either. The person I bought her from is not sure what parents she came from since he works so large scale and didnt know there would be any odd colors coming out. Could it be an Opal?

peacockbackview.jpg

peacockwhatkind.jpg

arethoseprimaries.jpg

She is very shy and very protective of her cochin buddy

Looks like a Bronze Male with the color of the neck but the body does not belong to a Bronze, So I have no idea what it is. If it is a Charcoal hen she will not be fertile and most likely will never lay an egg. Almost looks Opal, but I'm not going to bet on it. Because there is to much misleading info on here sometimes already.

Last edited by a moderator:
well darn. What could cause her to be infertile? Is it possible she is a morph? Compared to the two blues hens I have that you saw in the other pic, she is huge. She is a week or two younger and is about twice the size of them . Just body mass alone is very heavy

Quote:
Is it possible she is a morph? Compared to the two blues hens I have that you saw in the other pic, she is huge. She is a week or two younger and is about twice the size of them . Just body mass alone is very heavy

Charcoal hens are infertile and don't lay eggs, there may be 4 or 5 that have layed eggs that is why a Charcoal hen is not worth much.
But this is not a Pied ether.

I surely do thank you for all your help. It means a lot to have people willing to help you when you are just getting started on your dream and are still learning the ropes. Especially someone as high up on the food chain as you.lol

It looks bronze, and the weird color on body might either be camera or due to white-eye influence.. white eye also puts sort of a 'sugar frost' look over the feathers making the color slightly lighter. At any rate it's a male for sure. For some reason in my experience at least, bronze male chicks go through a phase where they seem to lose a lot of the barring just like on your male.. the tell tale sign of male is the solid colored neck and I recognize the pattern of a juvenile male on front of neck where the color meets white on chest..

Opal chicks are very obvious soft tones of lavender gray all over, almost the same color as lavender in chickens. (imo very beautiful)

If you got this Male from Sid it could be a Bronze White Eye or Bronze split to something. He is working on all kinds of Bronze varieties get the wingband # and ask him he keeps good records on his chicks.

Yep white eye, thats not a charcoal hen, but agree other is a bronze. compare the two neck colors. If you look you can see the barring on the 2nd bronze ,just lighter

pic of my charcoal hen chicks

peachicks076.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom