What color is this bunny?

JekkaLynn

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Ontario
I am trying to fill out a form for anyhow but I don't know what color this rabbit is. It is just a town fair poultry show. Someone said they think she is a Rex.

Oooops forgot the picture, sorry

Her color is called Tortoise or Tortoiseshell, or just Tort for short. Her breed, well, that's a different issue. She does have a Rex coat, that's true, but she doesn't really look like what is known as a Mini Rex in the US.

Maybe it's just the picture, but your girl seems to have a short, round face, more like that of a Netherland Dwarf. That is considered a fault in the Mini Rex. Also, how much does your doe weigh? Showable weight for a Mini Rex is between 3 and 4 1/2 pounds.

Her color is called Tortoise or Tortoiseshell, or just Tort for short. Her breed, well, that's a different issue. She does have a Rex coat, that's true, but she doesn't really look like what is known as a Mini Rex in the US. Maybe it's just the picture, but your girl seems to have a short, round face, more like that of a Netherland Dwarf. That is considered a fault in the Mini Rex. Also, how much does your doe weigh? Showable weight for a Mini Rex is between 3 and 4 1/2 pounds.
She was really stressed out when I took that picture. But she does look a lot like that picture and she is a little thing.

Done a little poking around.

I have seen other pictures of what appear to be Netherland Dwarfs with Rex coats. Evidently, they are called Dwarf Rex. One such animal was apparently used as the foundation sire of the Mini Rex breed. But while the Mini Rex is outrageously popular, the Dwarf Rex is practically unknown (even Google seems to have a hard time finding them!). The Dwarf Rex is not recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association, incidentally.

I have two Netherland dwarf bunnies and she is definitely bigger and built differently then they are.
We are starting to think that she might be pregnant though.
She has been acting strangely and hanging out in her litter box and today when my Hubby checked everyone before bed he said she had filled her litter box with hay...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom