What color is this cochin chick??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Mar 21, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    AWESOME!!! I'm so glad to hear it! [​IMG] I took some good pics of my blues so you can see the lacing, etc. that they come from. The feet...I'll have to see if I have a picture of their grandfather somewhere. He had the most incredible foot feathers.

Will have to get the pics on the page tomorrow b/c I didn't get enough time tonight. [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Asher I'm excited to see them! I love seeing where my babies come from. They will have the best of home here that's for sure. They will have a coop of their very own (building it this spring/summer) until then they will have a large cage with free ranging time outside all spring with my eye right on them the whole time! These babies ALL have tremendous foot feathers! I am SO very happy with them. I'm still keeping fingers crossed that the last egg will hatch [​IMG] If it doesn't tomorrow I"m going to open it to see if it is just to dry to pip. Looks like I may have FOUR blues [​IMG] I'm SO thrilled with that. I will take pics of all four of my babies together and post here too tomorrow. I just want to kiss them non stop [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    What are the differences between bhrama's and cochin's? We have a "mystery chick" that looks quite a bit like your mottled cochin. Looks much smaller than the standards so am guessing it's a bantam.

[​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine is a bantam also but it's not mottled were thinking blue. Yours does look like mine. Maybe yours is a mottled? Yours has more yellow I think. It sure is cute!

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm really totally unsure. I was thinking mine was probably a brahma. It's feet are not as fully feathered as your cochin. I had brahma's in my order but the six that I ordered came through as yellow ones that I assumed, perhaps wrongly, would end up white.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That last photo there sure looks like a brahma... [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    WooHoo [​IMG] Congrats on the 4 babies. So purty too. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    IMO the first one is a splash and the 2nd one is a bramha. But what do I know. I JUST HATCHED!! WOO HOO!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Deb, I did have Brahma chicks before but I cannot remember what they looked like [​IMG] They do tend to have feathering only on the side of the legs though for a while so maybe you do have a brahma. As far as less feathering, if you got it from a hatchery that's pretty normal. My cochin I got from the hatchery a while back didn't have nearly the feathering as the ones i got from my friend who shows them or these little ones. I sold her with some of my other hatchery laying hens so not sure today what she turned out to look like. Another thing...cochins seem to have more of a feathery butt LOL Does anyone else notice that? They seem to have a distinct look to them (body shape)

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:YES! [​IMG] Mine look like basketballs with feathers! And then when they all turn their bums to me...well...let's say that I have too many pics of that! [​IMG] I was looking at a friends house the other day and we were talking about his cochins...I said "There's just nothing as cute as a cochin bum." He laughed, but it's true!

Just a little eye candy until I get a chance to get the rest of the pics up (long night with a very active fetus)...

(Any coloring oddity is purely the sun yesterday, she's a pure solid blue and a lovely one!)
    [​IMG]

One of my solid black hens. (Washed out in the bright sun, again, they wouldn't get in the shade for me to take a good pic.)
    [​IMG]

See? Basketballs! hehe Bonus points to anyone that can find their feet! [​IMG] and good luck with that!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: