1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this cochin chick??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

This is one of the eggs I hatched out from Ashers group [​IMG] Isn't he just SO cute! Not sure what color it is though. Anyone have any idea?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    does she have mottled?
    probably a blue....mottled usually have more yellow....
    blue is my final answer [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

OH good I was hoping blue...nope I don't believe she had mottled. I sent her a pm so I hope she will know [​IMG] I like your answer though! I have another one that just hatched in the incubator that looks just like him.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like a mottled.

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Look at the foot feathers!!! [​IMG]

No, I don't have mottled in my flock at all. Mine do keep quite a bit of white in them until adult molt, though. Not sure why, but I only have solid blacks and blues. I don't care for mottleds at all. (No offense to anyone that does.)

ETA: Will see if I can find some pics of similar chicks, a few friends swore they were mottled by looking at them as chicks. Now they are a gorgeous solid blue. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    oh, asher, one of these days I will have to get some of those......

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Well...I'm trying to be very good and only hatch out my ducks right now since I have a list of people wanting them. However, I see a bunch of cockerels in my brooder right now so I am very tempted to stick some more eggs in right now. *sigh* So I should have eggs for sale from the cochins through the Summer...though May-June I don't think I'll be doing much selling or marketing them.

BTW, I forgot to say, looks like a blue to me, but I'm bad at this. *sigh*

8. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Have any more popped out for you? [​IMG] I went outside and took some new pictures of the flock today so am editing them now. Hope to get them up on my byc page tonight or tomorrow, depending on how easily my computer cooperates with me. [​IMG]

9. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    Congrats and cute chick!!
    Here is a pic of one of my blue mottled gals when she hatched. There is alot more yellow.
    Yours looks like a good blue. Both the bl and blk can have that penguiney thing going on.
    klf73-oh come on in the waters warm!!..gotta get these for your kids!
    [​IMG]
    This is a blue boy, but he is a light blue.
    [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Thanks everyone for the help! I now have FOUR babies! Surprisingly TWO more hatched out that I didn't expect [​IMG] *HUGE SMILE* They ALL look the same LOL I would LOVE all blue babies that's for sure. Would have loved a splash but I can get one of those later [​IMG] Now I hope to get two girls out of the crew and I will be good. I'm thinking about keeping a male if I end up with a blue one. OH these babies are SSOOOO cute! Thanks a bunch Asher. May want more from you next year if your still selling at that time. These babies are strong [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by