NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
I was thinking maybe a palomino roan. Does anyone know?
20180625_114601.jpg

Can't say whether or not he's gaited, though I agree with @TheGoldenGirlz in that he doesn't seem to be put together like a gaited horse. Where I can see large areas of his skin (around his eyes and sheath), he lacks the mottled skin of an Appaloosa. With those white feet, you couldn't tell if he had striped hooves (another Appaloosa characteristic), and though he may have visible sclera, that could be the result of the sabino gene he inherited - which could well be responsible for the roaning he shows. He doesn't have the denser color on the bony areas of a varnish roan (the appy roan pattern); at his age, an appy should have large areas of almost completely white. I don't think he's an Appaloosa at all. I also know he isn't a Palomino. Even a deeply colored pally is golden, not red; this horse's coat is a combination of red and white hairs. Also, his mane is yellow, not white as a palomino's would be.

I think he's a red-based sabino roan - not the typical roan that has a dark head and feet, and not the varnish roan of the Appy type, but roaning as a result of one of the pinto series genes that are known collectively as sabino.

I still don't see any sorrel there. Palomino can cover a very broad spectrum of shades - everything from chocolate to an Isabella, like my mustang.

Look at his ears - they are very clearly red, not golden. If you enlarge the pictures of him, you can't miss the fact that his body color is a mixture of red and white hairs. Red can vary; some horses are light red, without being duns or champagnes or any other type of dilution. Palomino is produced by a dilution gene. "Chocolate Palominos" are not genetically Palominos at all, but usually Silvers. I own a Sooty Palomino, which does have some rather brownish areas on her body, but it is brown, not red, and (typical of Sooty) she has black in her mane and tail (which this gelding shows no sign of). I also own a sorrel sabino roan with a strawberry blond mane and tail. Even though she hasn't as many white hairs as this gelding, some people confuse her with a Palomino, but it isn't hard to tell the difference when you really look.

When you look closely at the coat, is there one solid color, or two or more colors mixed in? If more than one color, are the different colors seen on each hair shaft, or are individual hairs each one color?

Back
Top Bottom