What color is this kitty cat?

Also, I was thinking if it would be a good idea to take him to the shelter and adopt him... Is that not allowed? I know they will make him healthy and all. It's probably a better option than taking him to the vet multiple times for a big bill... I need to convince my mom that I will be a good owner because I really need a kitten in my life! I can't let this little kitty go, I love him too much. And if he likes my chihuahua, she would really benefit from a friend
My Chihuahua hates puppies, loves kittens. We found a tiny little kitten with a broken leg a couple months ago, and she acted as a surrogate, snuggling and protecting him from the other cats. It was adorable. Now that he's older, she plays with him constantly!

The Humane Society and SPCA generally have low-cost vaccination and spay/neuter programs, depending on your area and income. Generally, you only have to pay $10-$20 and they take care of the surgery and necessary vaccinations. I got my cat spayed a few months ago, and it only came up to about $80, including optional vaccines (We didn't qualify for low-cost spay/neuter). I live in WV, though, and our costs are usually lower compared to national average.

Carmella seems to be very curious of the kitty, trying to sniff him, barking, and getting really eager when I keep her on a leash sitting. I'm not sure if she has a prey drive for him or really wants to play, but every time she gets close Cherish hisses or growls. When he walks she starts barking and scares him, but I tell her no... If only this dog had better listening skills

Carmella seems to be very curious of the kitty, trying to sniff him, barking, and getting really eager when I keep her on a leash sitting. I'm not sure if she has a prey drive for him or really wants to play, but every time she gets close Cherish hisses or growls. When he walks she starts barking and scares him, but I tell her no... If only this dog had better listening skills
It's best to try and introduce them in a calm situation. I've found it best, when introducing dog and cat, to pet the cat to keep in calm, and let the dog sniff the cat. Let him go if he gets to scared. Especially when working with pack animals like dogs, it's important to avoid getting anxious or eager, because dog's pick up on physical cues and will become anxious as well. He may swat or hiss to begin with, but as long as you don't allow the dog to chase the cat, they'll usually get use to each other :)

I pet both of them at the same time, and keep Carmella on a leash while sitting, like I said. I remain as calm as I can, because I know that the situation is controlled. I'm worried that if I let her go she will hurt Cherish.

Hmm... Carmella ignored Cherish, but then all of a sudden tried to go after him. I don't understand, I am giving them both attention, so she shouldn't be jealous. Cherish walked up to her a few times to sniff and then hiss... I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not. I can't tell who needs more time, hissing Cherish or mood-swingy Carmella?? This is harder than I thought it would be -_-

Hmm... Carmella ignored Cherish, but then all of a sudden tried to go after him. I don't understand, I am giving them both attention, so she shouldn't be jealous. Cherish walked up to her a few times to sniff and then hiss... I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not. I can't tell who needs more time, hissing Cherish or mood-swingy Carmella?? This is harder than I thought it would be -_-
Animals aren't like people. They show interest, aggression, annoyance, playfulness, and a lot of other things while they're establishing order. It seems like neither of them have any interest in truly hurting each other, so they'll probably work it out on their own

My mom told me about how one of her small dogs in the past attacked a little kitten out of nowhere... Now I'm really worried. Do bichon frises have the same personalities as chihuahuas? I have a strong feeling that Carmella is the type of dog that would do something like that :-(

My mom told me about how one of her small dogs in the past attacked a little kitten out of nowhere... Now I'm really worried. Do bichon frises have the same personalities as chihuahuas? I have a strong feeling that Carmella is the type of dog that would do something like that :-(
No breed has a specific personality. You have to know your dog, really. My Chihuahua loves cats. She will act as a surrogate to kittens, and has done so more than once! I know Chihuahuas who try to chase cats, and others that run away from cats. Regardless, if the kitten is nearly the size of your dog, it can likely fend for itself, and they'll work it out.
Dogs chase what runs, so if she wants to chase, letting her meet the kitten while he is in a cage could help. Make her sit near the cage, and break her attention when she shows signs of being eager (you can use a light tug on the leash and/or a clicking noise). Give her a treat when she is calm. She'll associate being calm around the cat with something positive

Could I use Carmella's carrier to put the kitten in? He is so tiny compared to Carmella - a big, athletic 6 lb. Chi

Back
Top Bottom