What color OEGB are these?

He wouldn't sit still and this is the only one that was in focus. Sorry.

OEGB gray M3.jpg

I picked up this hen today from the same breeder. She is sorta, kinda blue grey.

OEGB gray F2.jpg

Thank you. I don't quiz the breeder about their heritage. It would be rude to ask if he doesn't want to volunteer the info. I do know that he is fond of the whole blue thing. The blue always looks more like grey to me unless there is some bright red to highlight and set it off.

Well, this was a nice Christmas surprise.... and egg. Not just an egg but a huge egg for a bantam. It came from the rooster and one of the two hens above. I once crossed the silver duckwing hen with a buff breast (the first hen pictured above) with a typical black-breasted red OEGB rooster. Her eggs were the identical in size to those of taht BBR OEGB rooster x BBR OEGB hens, They looked just like this and about 27 grams:
bantameggsm.jpg

The egg today is much longer than OEGB eggs I'm used to. It's 36 grams.
bantamegglg.jpg

bantamegg3.jpg

I assuming that egg size and shape is determined by the hen. Is that right? If so, then I know todays egg is from the silver duckwing OEGB without the buff breast that was added a few days ago (the second hen photo above). Correct? That would also mean that today's egg is either infertile or she was mated with a rooster that I will never see.

Todays eggs is going into the incubator. Maybe the chick will answer the question if it should happen to hatch.

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't quiz the breeder about their heritage. It would be rude to ask if he doesn't want to volunteer the info. I do know that he is fond of the whole blue thing. The blue always looks more like grey to me unless there is some bright red to highlight and set it off.
Don't feel bad asking. Anyone who wants to farther the Breed and have good blood is going to ask what it is and where did it come from. It's standard questions and any true breeder would be willing and happy to tell you. Usually leading to an entire life story

Back
Top Bottom