What color silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicksngoats, Oct 17, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    These are my fist batch of silkies, I snagged off CL about 6 weeks ago. I actually had my husband pick them up for me, so I didn't get a chance to ask the owner anything about them or to see the parents. I've always assumed they were black, but they are sort of a muddy brownish/black. Not really pretty IMO, wondering if they are supposed to be black or another color?

I'm not really sure about the age either, I think they were about 3 weeks when I got them, so maybe 9 weeks? At least 2 of them are roos, they have started crowing. I really hoped to keep at least 1-2 hens and one roo for breeding...or are they worth breeding? The have the walnut combs, the 5 toes...not sure what else they should have, but the color just looks off to me. I obviously don't know very much about them...if I'm breeding them, it is really going to be more of a hobby and not a huge production, but I would like to start with a couple of decent birds.

I appreciate any imput. Thanks!

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Look black to me although they may be two colors mixed. I think they are cute.
  3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    They look really rooster-ish. [​IMG]

They do look black in the photos.
  4. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Quote:LOL...I know. I think out of 6 I only ended up with two hens [​IMG] I was hoping for at least 50/50...oh well...guess we'll CL the other 3. Or have some for dinner [​IMG]
  5. chicksngoats

Aug 15, 2009
    Wish I could have gotten a better picture, but one of them has some brownish feathers around the neck. Just a couple....you really have to look closely.
  6. silkielovr

silkielovr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Bad news! They all appear to be roosters.
    They don't have much in the way of leg or foot feathers......
    Sorry but I think they are all PQ roosters
  7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i think the 3rd one looks hen-ish but idk very pretty and black only have 2 pq pets!! lol
  8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
  9. BattleChickens

BattleChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be Blues? I have one blue and about half of those pics look like her coloring . . . I'd love one of those roos!
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The 2nd one may be a girl. They may be very dark blues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by