What color/type are these quail?

I'm always into the strange and out of the ordinary. I looked them up and loved the way they looked. I'm lookinjg at her odd ro and really liking him. i love the odd and rare color varieties as well and the monchurians definitely are unusual.

Quote:
WELL THERE YA GO! WE JUST ADDED 1 MORE TO YOUR LIST
smile.png

Oh please don't. My list is too long already. Mandarin ducks, peacocks, and Victoria crowned pigeons are already on it. All fairly expensive things to be on the list of someone like me. It keeps growing the more time I spend on these forums.
big_smile.png

Dont Forget Wood Ducks, Bakail Teal And Cinnamon Teal
smile.png
Oh And There's Ttttooooonnnnnssssss Of Super Beautiful And Exotic Pheasant Speces Too
smile.png

(sorry Someone Should Have Warned You About Us Enablers Over Here In The Quail Section
smile.png
)

i['ve had terriblr luck with pheasants, so i think I'll steer clear. Waterfowl are more up my alley.

I've also been looking into the blue scaled and valley quail as well. Quail are easier and eat way less.

Quote:
HAVE YOU HAD ANY NEW WORLD QUAIL? (BOBS/ VALLEYS/ GAMBELS/ BLUE SCALED)

THEY ARE QUITE SIMILAR TO PHEASANTS IN DEMEANOR AND CARE, AND ARE NOT AS USER FRIENDLY AS COTURNIX.

Wow, I'm liking all the bits of info bouncing around. Like I said, that particular bird is one of the original 12 I bought. I knew absolutely NOTHING WHATSOEVER about quail. But I love learning, and trying out new things, so......I bought 'em.
lol.png
I was immediately hooked. When I bought those birds, I asked the lady all kinds of questions. She told me what type they were, it sounded like she was saying 'coo-something'. Came home, put them in a cage with water and food (wild bird seed
hmm.png
) and jumped on the computer to see what I could find out. The first thing I learned was wild bird seed is NOT the same as game bird feed.
roll.png
Well, I compared pics of my birds with all the different types of quail I could find, and narrowed it down to Coturnix. All but one. I had one hen that was very dark brown. She looked like what I think were Tibetans? And then there was this guy, and well, I just assumed with the dark head, maybe he was a cross of one like her and the lighter ones. The really dark one was the same size as the rest, the only obvious difference ( to my un-trained eyes ) being the coloring. The one with the dark head is the same size as everyone else, too. He does stand a bit straighter, but that's about it. And yes, his beak is a LOT different, all curvy and dark. Actually, he has been one of my faves from the start. I've always gone for the odd-duck. I think I may put him in a pen with a few females all his own, and just see what happens.....like I said, I love learning.
big_smile.png
I'll take lots of pics of future offspring, and share them with ya'll. Probably won't be until spring, tho. Deer season here----I spend a lot of time in the woods, won't have the time.

Sumatra503 wrote:
i['ve had terriblr luck with pheasants, so i think I'll steer clear. Waterfowl are more up my alley.

I've also been looking into the blue scaled and valley quail as well. Quail are easier and eat way less.
HAVE YOU HAD ANY NEW WORLD QUAIL? (BOBS/ VALLEYS/ GAMBELS/ BLUE SCALED)

THEY ARE QUITE SIMILAR TO PHEASANTS IN DEMEANOR AND CARE, AND ARE NOT AS USER FRIENDLY AS COTURNIX.

Perhaps, but they eat less and require smaller housing. I don't have a lot of acreage, so I have to think small.

I jumped right into pheasants without knowing quite what I was doing. I had them in a wire cage with a wire bottom. Big mistake! One of my females caught her toe in the wire when she boinked up and she completely dislocated her hock joint. I had to cull her and I felt terrible. the other one escaped a week later and i never could catch her. She was eventually killed by a coon. Long story short, That set me against the whole pheasant thing.

Those were ringnecks and i've heard that they are flightier than other breeds. I've been considering the red goldens. A friend of mine has a male and he is pretty calm. He doesn't boink at all.​

Back
Top Bottom