What color would I get from a White Silkie roo on a Black hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RAREROO, Oct 10, 2009.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I bought a pair of white silies today and I already had a pair blacks. Now I am thinking I will see the black roo and keep the white roo with the white, black, and buff silkie cross hen I have.

So what color would I get with the white roo on a black hen? What a bought the buff colombian hen?

Actuall the roo is kind of a dirty white and since my recent interest in khaki colored birds and from the pics I've seen, he look like he could be Khaki but that's probably just wishful thinking, he's probably just dirty from dusting.

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    So what color would I get with the white roo on a black hen?

Nobody can tell you unless you know exactly what the white is masking,could be anything.
    What a bought the buff colombian hen?

Sorry don't understand this sentence.
    David​

3. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Sorry that was a Typo, [​IMG] I meant what about the buff columbian hen?

She is half silkie and buff columbian colored , I was wondering what I might get from crossing her with the white roo but I guess you already answered that.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:White roo on black hen should produce males that are mostly black and females that are mostly black or black. Possibly more whites.

White roo on buff birds- could be almost black males and almost black females or black females, off spring could be similar to the buff bird.

White birds can be genetically diverse so the outcomes of a cross can very from bird to bird.

Tim

Tim

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Tim, I usually appreciate your knowledge, but I think you missed the boat here.

Silkies are rarely E-based, which more closely matches your answer. Silkies are usually e^b, which means that the likelihood of black is pretty slim. Possible, but not real likely.

Experience says that partridge-ish birds are fairly likely, but it varies dramatically depending on the individual bird.

6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks Sonoran Silkies, I quess I will have to wait and see.

The black silkie is not a very good black, she has redish color in the hackles and a redish tint onn several parts of her body.

And I don't now what genes the Buff hen has, she has black skin and normal feathering. Here she is with some BC Marans she hatched.
    [​IMG]

7. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    She looks like a silkie mixed with a cochin or d'uccle, not a pure silkie.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yeah I know she's not a pure Silkie, I figured she was crossed with a Brahma or Cochin since she has a Buff Columbian pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by