What color?

How would this hen be throwing chicks just like her when bred to barred if she wasn't dominate white?
I think her dark skin is what's making her look blueish.

What color would this hen be? I had some people tell me she was dominant white. But she is more of a light blue color in person. These pictures really don’t do her justice. I also bred her with a barred male and the chicks came out the same color as her. Does dominant white make chicks blue?
She is dirty because it’s been really rainy here so her coloration is a bit harder to see without me bathing her. And I think she would hate that. Her breed is a Hedemora
Can you post pictures of her chicks?

What about that second pic that doesn't show the skin tho?
The skin is under the feathers. 😉

I'm just throwing stuff out there. Maybe white on dark skin has that illusion of blue :confused:
I can look at the pics all day but my heads going to the genetics. Lavender, blue, splash, splash lavender etc wouldn't produce the same color when bred to a barred. It's early but I'm not seeing what would besides dominate white.

Agreed. I would take some white paper slide under the feathers and get a picture of that to rule out skin then.

Also throwing things out while digging in the pile of the known and what my eyes keep telling my brain. Could be an optical illusion and that would be cool all on its own.

Agreed. I would take some white paper slide under the feathers and get a picture of that to rule out skin then.

Also throwing things out while digging in the pile of the known and what my eyes keep telling my brain. Could be an optical illusion and that would be cool all on its own.
And now I'm hearing a voice in my head screaming "trust me, you must trust me"
I need to get more coffee and find something to do.

I've been able to see some pictures of blue lavender recently and the shafts of the feathers are dark not the pearl or white color hers are. I don't think it's splash either as she has a more consistent color through out.
I agree that most lavender blue have dark shafts. Lavender splash would not be uneven because of the lavender gene. Plus, even without it, splash is typically more even than the “show type” splash unless you have the melanizers needed for the spots ie: splash laced red Wyandottes are almost white.

Back
Top Bottom