What color?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
What color would this hen be? I had some people tell me she was dominant white. But she is more of a light blue color in person. These pictures really don’t do her justice. I also bred her with a barred male and the chicks came out the same color as her. Does dominant white make chicks blue?
She is dirty because it’s been really rainy here so her coloration is a bit harder to see without me bathing her. And I think she would hate that. Her breed is a Hedemora

Attachments

• DD752815-2538-44E3-B21E-B51585CFFE5B.jpeg
    DD752815-2538-44E3-B21E-B51585CFFE5B.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 1FF4A345-AE07-4306-9798-B5409EDBB7F0.jpeg
    1FF4A345-AE07-4306-9798-B5409EDBB7F0.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 21
  • EB326176-A3C7-4D80-8DE0-D35A0752042A.jpeg
    EB326176-A3C7-4D80-8DE0-D35A0752042A.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 21
What color would this hen be? I had some people tell me she was dominant white. But she is more of a light blue color in person. These pictures really don’t do her justice. I also bred her with a barred male and the chicks came out the same color as her. Does dominant white make chicks blue?
She is dirty because it’s been really rainy here so her coloration is a bit harder to see without me bathing her. And I think she would hate that. Her breed is a Hedemora
She’s really pretty! I’m interested to see what others say!

She looks like she has the lavender gene since that is common in Hedemora and some of her tail feathers are rough which is common with lavender but I think she must also have another dilution gene to make lavender even lighter.

Sounds like dominate white to me.
Can you be more specific as to why it’s dominant white? I just keep being told that and my understanding of dominant white is very rudimentary. Besides white leghorns. And no matter what I breed my leghorn to the chicks are always white. This girl produces light blue chicks.

Can you be more specific as to why it’s dominant white? I just keep being told that and my understanding of dominant white is very rudimentary. Besides white leghorns. And no matter what I breed my leghorn to the chicks are always white. This girl produces light blue chicks.
She is probably lavender splash then.
I wanted to say that based on her appearance but whenever I had lavender and the blue gene on one bird it had softer feathers.

Dominant White is a gene that turns black into white (except it sometimes misses a few bits).

A White Leghorn hen has the genes to be black all over, plus Dominant White to turn all the black into white.

For chicks from the White Leghorn, they inherit the genes to be black all over (which are dominant over most other color genes in chickens), and also Dominant White which turns all the black into white. So you get white chicks.

As regards the hen in the first post, I don't know what to say.

Looks lavender but with the dark skin it's making it look more white.

Amendment: lavender on a pateren. Maybe under the lavender black with gold leakage?

I've been able to see some pictures of blue lavender recently and the shafts of the feathers are dark not the pearl or white color hers are. I don't think it's splash either as she has a more consistent color through out.

Back
Top Bottom