What Color?

Hannah15

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2014
I have a peahen that will be 3 years old in a couple of months. I am looking into getting her a mate, but I have had doubts about her coloring. When she hatched, I THOUGHT I knew which egg she came from, but I'm just not sure. (I was new to pea's and lost 2 due to coccidia.) I was pretty sure she was from the egg that had a purple black shoulder white eye pied spalding male with two purple black shoulder pied hens. However, I am not sure about her being purple, and shouldn't she be at least dark pied if she was out of that pen? As you can see from the picture of her wing, there are no white flight feathers. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Looks like a spalding blackshoulder hen . not necessalily a dark pied. Darkpied usually have white flight feathers, either primary, secondary, or tertiary and also a small white throat patch.And may or may not carry purple blood, based on her parents geneticcs. spalding purple blackshoulder with or with out single factor w/e gene ???. I do not think she is dark pied.

I have a peahen that will be 3 years old in a couple of months. I am looking into getting her a mate, but I have had doubts about her coloring. When she hatched, I THOUGHT I knew which egg she came from, but I'm just not sure. (I was new to pea's and lost 2 due to coccidia.) I was pretty sure she was from the egg that had a purple black shoulder white eye pied spalding male with two purple black shoulder pied hens. However, I am not sure about her being purple, and shouldn't she be at least dark pied if she was out of that pen? As you can see from the picture of her wing, there are no white flight feathers. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

I'm sorry I can't help you as I'm still too new to peafowl, I just wanted to tell you that you have a beautiful peahen!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom