What colored chickens are best to avoid predators?

What colored birds are best for predator protection?

• Total voters

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have heard separate thoughts on which colored chickens, are less likely to get predators attention. Light colored birds, or dark colored birds. Some say light, some say dark, I want to know what your experiences have been, and what you think. This is coinciding with this thread- https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-100-forage-diet.1440364/page-2#post-23879309 , on my idea to do a 100% foraging/free ranging diet. It explains my idea there. But I need a breed that can survive free ranging and wont attract as much attention to its self. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Added Spotted or Barred to the list!
Welcome. Though as I said on the other thread, I have heard that some people have the MOST issues with barred birds getting picked off by birds of prey. (Since they are LOOKING or that basic coloring because many of their normal prey animals are "grayish" looking. Wild game birds = generally grayish. Mice and rats = gray. wild rabbits = gray etc... ) I'm sure no expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it does make sense too. :) What it comes down to is luck, your predator load, how aware your birds ARE, and how many places they have to hide. Are you palnning on having roosters?

Welcome. Though as I said on the other thread, I have heard that some people have the MOST issues with barred birds getting picked off by birds of prey. (Since they are LOOKING or that basic coloring because many of their normal prey animals are "grayish" looking. Wild game birds = generally grayish. Mice and rats = gray. wild rabbits = gray etc... ) I'm sure no expert, nor do I play one on TV, but it does make sense too. :) What it comes down to is luck, your predator load, how aware your birds ARE, and how many places they have to hide. Are you palnning on having roosters?
Yes! Defiantly roosters. As many roosters as I can have with 15-20 chickens. So maybe about 3? I get the whole grey thing as well. I bet it depends on the predators too. So far, most of my chickens on the list are brown, so so far, seems like I am going with brown. Though Rabbits, mice, moles, and other prey, are brown to. There isn't a lot of pretty that is white though....

Yes! Defiantly roosters. As many roosters as I can have with 15-20 chickens. So maybe about 3? I get the whole grey thing as well. I bet it depends on the predators too. So far, most of my chickens on the list are brown, so so far, seems like I am going with brown. Though Rabbits, mice, moles, and other prey, are brown to. There isn't a lot of pretty that is white though....
Yeah, that is why I said "grayish" the first time. LOL Easier than saying grayish brown.

Back
Top Bottom