What colors would I get...

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm glad you said that about the color not the breed...here's another question you can maybe answer: i bred my red cochin roo to my BR hen and ended up with some chicks that looked identical to black "stars" or basically, black sex link pullets. I sold them when they were a few weeks old, but would there have been a way, based on color, to know their sex when they began to feather out without looking at combs/wattles or feather shape?

You should've been able to know when they hatched. A Red bird over a Barred bird is exactly how black sex-links are made. The females should've been all black at hatch and feather out black with red in the breast area, and the males would've been born with a white dot on their head and feather out barred.

Holy crap. Sorry for the "language" but I just realized I sold a group of 10 or so mostly pullets for next to nothing because I didn't know the sex and if I had only researched I would have realized that all those black with red tipped neck/breast feathers meant girls. NO wonder I had two of the barred ones start fighting early on. They were the only roosters! Thanks so much for the info! Now I'm thinking of hatching eggs from my BR hen and Red cochin roo again since I will be able to tell at birth the sex!

Back
Top Bottom