What colour and breed are these chicks?

Thank you so much. I can't tell you how hapoy that makes me, I was so scared that Thor was a boy
I felt the same. I hatched 5 chicks (Tilly X Silkie) and only one had white skin and everything that mom had. I thought that the more silkie looking ones were boys and the Tilly loking one was female. I was already thinking about ways to rehome them. Lol. And yesterday MysteryChicken told me that it’s the other way around and I have 4 girls and 1 boy🥳 I'm still extra excited about that

Thank goodness! I was so woreied about Thor. The non-wattles get slightly pink when she's hyper but her comb is so small and spiky!
So I should always trust the comb instead of the wattles

Males and females both grow wattles (look at any photos of adult hens for examples.)

Both the combs and the wattles grow bigger on males than on females, they grow big sooner on males, and they get red sooner.

In your photos, the male has a bigger comb, but his little wattles are also much more RED than the females' wattles.

Which details are most obvious varies from one chicken to another, but also from one person to another. Personally, I often have better luck looking at the wattles than the comb, because the color difference seems more obvious to me on the wattles.

Last edited:
Males and females both grow wattles (look at any photos of adult hens for examples.)

Both the combs and the wattles grow bigger on males than on females, they grow big sooners on males, and they get red sooner.

In your photos, the male has a bigger comb, but his little wattles are also much more RED than the females' wattles.

Which details are most obvious varies from one chicken to another, but also from one person to another. Personally, I often have better luck looking at the wattles than the comb, because the color difference seems more obvious to me on the wattles.
This was very helpful.
Loki is most likely a boy

20220105_120839_HDR.jpg
20220105_120959_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom