What colour are my Brahmas?

The first one appears to be wheaten, duckwing, silver, and autosomal red. Shorthand, you could call it salmon, if you like, though it's really a mixed color.
The second is blue silver partridge with autosomal red (with the pattern gene, but lacking the patterned hackle gene.) The term for this color would be Blue Silver Orange.
The last appears to be splash red partridge. I wouldn't call it a lemon pyle because it doesn't appear to be Columbian, but if Rhodebar Lover, who has more experience in Brahmas than I, says that it appears to be dominant white and not splash I'll say it is paint red partridge.
In short, x2 RhodebarLover on all except the last, since the patterning doesn't indicate Columbian.
Are we sure about the first one? To me she seems too brown to be silver duckwing. I don’t pretend to understand autosomal red, but to me she almost looks like she has chocolate in her. I know the genetics calculator is limited in the pictures, but what you described is coming out grey still. Thanks, and I don’t want to say you’re wrong I just want to check.
B87D31D9-322A-40CC-9506-7DF344EBC03F.jpeg
8D2DB5C0-0A8F-4E8D-B61E-A89BBB2F43BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Are we sure about the first one? To me she seems too brown to be silver duckwing. I don’t pretend to understand autosomal red, but to me she almost looks like she has chocolate in her. I know the genetics calculator is limited in the pictures, but what you described is coming out grey still. Thanks, and I don’t want to say you’re wrong I just want to check.View attachment 3108846View attachment 3108848
She also appears to have mahogany, which achieves a distribution of brown all over the body. If you look up Salmon Faverolles, you might be surprised to find that they are silver-based. The only reason they are buffy-colored is because they have mahogany and autosomal red in addition to the silver.

Autosomal red is confusing. Basically, autosomal red enables red to exist on a bird. Autosomal red is wildtype and is in almost all gold-based birds. Silver male birds that you see at shows will have silver shoulders because they have a mutation that inhibits autosomal red. Alternatively, a silver hen with a red breast has one copy of autosomal red. Males with autosomal red have red shoulders (bad for show) and females without it have greyish breasts (bad for show.) This is why silver duckwing is such a rare and difficult to breed color.

If you don't understand that... well, I didn't either until Genetics of Chicken Colors broke it down for me.

She also appears to have mahogany, which achieves a distribution of brown all over the body. If you look up Salmon Faverolles, you might be surprised to find that they are silver-based. The only reason they are buffy-colored is because they have mahogany and autosomal red in addition to the silver.

Autosomal red is confusing. Basically, autosomal red enables red to exist on a bird. Autosomal red is wildtype and is in almost all gold-based birds. Silver male birds that you see at shows will have silver shoulders because they have a mutation that inhibits autosomal red. Alternatively, a silver hen with a red breast has one copy of autosomal red. Males with autosomal red have red shoulders (bad for show) and females without it have greyish breasts (bad for show.) This is why silver duckwing is such a rare and difficult to breed color.
Aahh okay, thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom