What colour silkie chicks to I have?

mariathesilkie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Hi! I am looking for opinions more knowledgeable than mine on my new silkie chicks. I have had silkies since I was a child, but only ever black or white. I ordered some fertile eggs for my hens recently and on Wednesday/Thursday I was delighted with four hatchings, all yellow with black markings. I thought we were done but on Friday night I candled the remaining eggs and one was cheeping. On Saturday we had one more arrival - possibly a buff? I will attach some photos of the five chicks and I would be very grateful for any advice as to what colours we might end up with. (I think photos 1 and 2 are of different chicks, but there are two that are very similar, and as I am plucking them out from under mother hen, I'm not 100% sure that they're not the same chicken. But as they're so similar they'll probably end up similar as big chickens anyway). Thanks in advance for any help!

first second and forth look to be partridge, the last one looks like a buff and the third looks like it might be a splash, not totally sure on the third though. they are all sooo adorable!! have fun!! :)

they left the nest for the first time this afternoon and I sat and watched for ages - they're just so cute! The poor little day-old buff got tired very easily but otherwise did well keeping up with his/her 3-4 day old siblings (despite still being a little wobbly and getting knocked over easily by the other chicks who were enjoying exploring).
It seems like pics one and two are in fact of the same chick. The one I didn't photograph has a mostly yellow head, the same grey colouring as the others but pretty much its whole body, with a bit of a darker stripe down its back. perhaps another partridge?

Thankyou! any thoughts on this one? It's the one I missed getting a photo of earlier. Similar colourings to three of the others, but more of the dark colouring. Another partridge? Sorry if this seem basic, but these are all new colourings to me and I am fascinated to know what colours they might end up.

Last one possibly a blue or blue splash. Where did you get the eggs from? Usually hatchery sites will give you a list of possible colors when you order a "variety pack" of chicks or hatching eggs. That might narrow the possible colors in this clutch.

Last one possibly a blue or blue splash. Where did you get the eggs from? Usually hatchery sites will give you a list of possible colors when you order a "variety pack" of chicks or hatching eggs. That might narrow the possible colors in this clutch.
The eggs were from a private farm. The breeder seem to have all colours of silkies and they all mix with each other, and no certainty about which hens the eggs came from. So I could pretty much end up with anything! I only have black and white silkie hens, so I guess it looks like we will be adding some new colours to our brood anyway.

Back
Top Bottom