What comb is this??

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
This little 2-week-old hatched looking like a tiny goose!! The biggest honker I've ever seen on such a tiny little creature lol It's just getting bigger and bigger and rosier! Baby feather sexed HEN at 2 days old (and again at 3 days old) but, because the comb area is becoming so much more rosey pink than his/her siblings, I'm beginning to wonder if it's a ROO?! What kind of comb IS it?? It looks so much more clustered than a pea comb. Is it rose? Walnut?? Mama is White Leghorn and daddy is Ameraucana.
whatcomb2.jpg
whatcomb3.jpg
whatcomb4.jpg

Thanks, y'all!

Attachments

• whatcomb.jpg
    whatcomb.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2
First of all, feather sexing doesn’t work unless you bred a fast feathering male over a slow feathering hen.
Most breeds are fast feathering which is why you thought it was a hen.
Second, are you sure the father was not an Easter Egger?
To me the comb looks like a rose comb with an inverted spike.

I agree with Amer, this chick has the broadness in its comb of having a rose comb gene, not just a pea comb gene. Do you have pictures of the parents?
I do not :( I got the eggs from a person who owns the parents. They were sold to me as EE/OliveEgger/Ameraucana eggs. I got a variety of brown/cream eggs (none of which hatched for various reasons) white eggs, and blue eggs. The little strawberry blonde baby is from the only blue egg that hatched. The white/yellow babies came from the white eggs. When inquiring about the parents, I was told the blue egg came from an EE mama bred to her Ameraucana roo and the white eggs came from her leghorns bred to the same Ameraucana roo. That is the extent of what I know, unfortunately.
Edited to add: The little mystery comb baby is from one of the white eggs...supposedly a leghorn x Ameraucana cross.

First of all, feather sexing doesn’t work unless you bred a fast feathering male over a slow feathering hen.
Unfortunately, I am not 100%
To my knowledge from inquiring about the parentage, the little blonde babes (including mystery honker), they were a leghorn mama x Ameraucana daddy cross. I also have a (supposedly) EE mama x Ameraucana daddy cross. Unless the person I got the eggs from THINKS that she has an Ameraucana roo that is simply EE ...I do not know.

It is my understanding that some White Leghorns can have rose combs, no? Is it possible for an offspring to inherit that from its mother or is it something it would have had to have inherited from dad?

It is my understanding that some White Leghorns can have rose combs, no? Is it possible for an offspring to inherit that from its mother or is it something it would have had to have inherited from dad?
Yes, it is possible. Though then it would have a cushion comb since it would inherit both the rose gene from the mother and the pea from its father.
It doesn’t look a lot like a cushion comb from my experience.

Yes, it is possible. Though then it would have a cushion comb since it would inherit both the rose gene from the mother and the pea from its father.
It doesn’t look a lot like a cushion comb from my experience.
Gotcha. Thank you for your input. What a little mystery!

Back
Top Bottom