what comes first?

njones

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Wisconsin
I know, this may be a really dumb question, but I have never had chickens before, so I don't know. Today I saw my rooster doing his thing (the hoochie coo) with one of my hens. My question is, does that come before she lays eggs? She is 16-17 weeks and I have yet to find eggs, so I was suprised when I saw them mating. If that comes before the hens lay, how soon can I expect some eggs? (I do know that they don't have to mate to have eggs). I am excited for eggs, been looking everyday and now hoping since they are mating it will be soon.
fl.gif
Thanks for your help.

Well, if the roo is doing his business, and the hens haven't laid yet, then it definitely comes before.
tongue.png

It doesn't necessarily mean the hens are ready to lay, though.

You hens are close, and I would say that in the next 3-4 weeks, you should start getting some eggs. With my chickens, the boys mature faster and get on with their duties before the hens start laying. As far as finding eggs, look everywhere. They are great hiders and when they are young, sometimes they don't know to lay in a nest box. Let us know how things work out.

Quote:
My roos were doing it long before my hens were ready. When the hens get closer, they scream less when the roos are on them.

Go Dawgs!

The hen was not screaming at all. She just sat (laid) there like a good girl. The hens have small red combs and wattles (just in the last month) and the last couple of weeks their faces are turning red. She didn't seem to mind what he was doing, so I am hoping eggs are coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom