What commercial feed do you use for your laying hens?

Our local store started carrying Kalmbach feeds a couple months ago. I’ve been buying the 20% Flock Maker, (I used to feed Purina 20% Flock Raiser.). I am really impressed, and my chickens love it. It smells so good too! The crumbles are never too fine as the Purina’s often were. With the most recent bag I mistakenly got pellets instead of crumbles and they love it just as much.
(I put out oyster shell on the side)
That's what I use too. When I opened the first bag, after switching from something else (don't recall what it was), I thought it smelled good enough for me to eat. Well, almost. But the difference from the previous stuff was startling.

I used to use Scratch & Peck with Kalambach layer crumbles and switched to the kalambach henhouse reserve with the layer crumbles… they love it and I had no issues with eggs all winter in Michigan!!

Our local store started carrying Kalmbach feeds a couple months ago. I’ve been buying the 20% Flock Maker, (I used to feed Purina 20% Flock Raiser.). I am really impressed, and my chickens love it. It smells so good too! The crumbles are never too fine as the Purina’s often were. With the most recent bag I mistakenly got pellets instead of crumbles and they love it just as much.
In my opinion, Kalmbach is superior to Purina.
View attachment 3513265
I almost picked up a bag of this, but read the feeding instructions on the bag that said it was for "... pullets up to laying age...". I took this to imply that it isn't intended for adult hens. Am I wrong? Is it okay for laying hens?

I almost picked up a bag of this, but read the feeding instructions on the bag that said it was for "... pullets up to laying age...". I took this to imply that it isn't intended for adult hens. Am I wrong? Is it okay for laying hens?
Yes, it is okay for laying hens if you supplement with oyster shell on the side, for their calcium needs. Like many others on BYC, I feed all chickens of every age, an all flock feed, which this one is. Every company makes an all flock feed.
Feed specifically for laying hens already has calcium in it.

In my opinion, Kalmbach is superior to Purina.
View attachment 3513265
@Obiwan Henobi i also use the Kalmbach 20% pellets with OS on the side
I used to use Scratch & Peck with Kalambach layer crumbles and switched to the kalambach henhouse reserve with the layer crumbles… they love it and I had no issues with eggs all winter in Michigan!!
I also use Henhouse reserve, mostly as a treat when I provide wet feed. Feed + water with HR sprinkled on top. In the winter I’ll do this with hot water for a good boost before/during very cold spells. In Summer I provide wet feed with ice cubes added in the afternoon so the girls get enough water as they tend to sit and do nothing when it’s hot and by the early afternoon their run is completely shaded so they are up and about, ready to eat and drink more.

Yes, it is okay for laying hens if you supplement with oyster shell on the side, for their calcium needs. Like many others on BYC, I feed all chickens of every age, an all flock feed, which this one is. Every company makes an all flock feed.
Feed specifically for laying hens already has calcium in it.
Thanks! That's good to know. I do supplement crushed oyster shell. I just started using Purina All Flock 20% but the Kalmbach is a bit cheaper so I may switch to that when the Purina feed runs out.

I also feed a 20% all flock feed, here it's Flock Raiser by Purina. Haven't tried the Kalmbach yet, it hasn't been available until recently.
Fresh feed is important! I like to feed within two months of the mill date on each bag, and will buy other all flock or chick starter type feeds to have something fresh, every time.
Mary

We have been feeding our hens Kalmbalch All Natural feed (17% protein). Is this a good feed? I am just curious what others are feeding their birds. Ours seem to be doing well on the Kalmbalch, although I suspect they are feather picking which some have suggested may be the result of a protein deficiency. These are laying hens, a little over a year old now. Egg production is good and they are otherwise healthy and active. Curious what others are using and your opinions about appropriate levels of protein in feed.
We use organic pellets that we buy at a local feed store. It is called nature smart16 % pellet

Back
Top Bottom