What could be causing the black spots on BR's Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtnviewfarms, Aug 21, 2011.

1. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my three BR roosters ( young 23 weeks ) has several black spots on his pretty bright red,
    otherwise healthy looking comb. I looked very closely at the spots and they are not ozzy or infected
    looking nor do they seem to be of concern to the rooster. None of the other chickens ( 24 pullets
    and 2 other roos - all same age ) have anything like it.

We are afraid of avian diseases from wild birds as we don't vac our birds w/the exception of Mareks
    that they all had at birth at Meyer hatchery.

We've raised them since day olds and they went straight from the brooder into the large very well
    ventilated chicken house where they seem very content with 5 and a half feet of space per bird,
    numerous roosts, nesting boxes and large tub in which I keep a combination of sand, wood shavings
    and codex food quality DE for them to 'bathe' in. We have been feeding them 'the good stuff'
    Purina Layena since they were 18 weeks old and previous to that high quality grower pellets. We
    give them grit as well as oyster calcium supplement now that they are laying. They also get lots of
    pesticide free garden greens, tomatoes, corn on the cob and their favorite which is marigold flowers.
    They also have constant access to Purina Flock Block which they finish off in less than a week!

We really try our best to 'spoil them rotten' and are glad that they seem to be healthy and all thriving
    but we are concerned about the aforementioned black spots on Rocky's comb. Any ideas of what
    could be causing it and if so, what can we do about it?

Thanks for any replys.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Mosquito's sometimes make these spot's, and other birds giving a peck to the comb every now and then will also do it.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My roos have always had a few black spots at times. Then they're gone at some point.

4. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by