What could be causing this feather loss??

Gabtods

Chirping
May 16, 2020
PNW
two of our three older chickens (they’re 2 years old), sunddenly have patches on their back with broken feathers (both in the same spot - just the the right of their tail feathers. They arent molting and they are beautiful birds with no signs of mites or lice or anything of the sort. I would assume it’s pecking or a predator , but it’s odd that 2/3 have the same feathers broken/ missing. Also they had this happen and it looked like their feathers were coming back, and then it seems like it happened again! Any ideas?
Picture for context

Also the specks on the black one are rain drops .

Attachments

• DE9A121B-184F-4AD5-89CB-21196B02EF3D.jpeg
    DE9A121B-184F-4AD5-89CB-21196B02EF3D.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 10
What exactly do you feed them?
Chicken feed ( they've been on it since laying), then a bunch of chicken scraps, meal worms, etc. My husband makes sure they always get lots of healthy treats :) But there's been no change in that. Also they free range in out grassy yard a lot .

Chicken feed ( they've been on it since laying), then a bunch of chicken scraps, meal worms, etc. My husband makes sure they always get lots of healthy treats :) But there's been no change in that.
The treats might be the problem.

Feeding anything besides the complete balanced layer feed... Is taking away from them getting a balanced diet.
Treats are for the humans pleasure not the birds.
How much protein or what protein percentage is in the feed that you offer?

I would completely cut out all treats for a while and see if the feather picking/eating stops.

The treats might be the problem.

Feeding anything besides the complete balanced layer feed... Is taking away from them getting a balanced diet.
Treats are for the humans pleasure not the birds.
How much protein or what protein percentage is in the feed that you offer?

I would completely cut out all treats for a while and see if the feather picking/eating stops.
I’m not sure that could be the cause because their feeding hasn’t changed since we’ve had them so I don’t know how or why that would suddenly cause them to peck out their feathers (and in the exact same place… that’s what’s the most odd). Also when I say treats it’s just veggies (similar to when they free range (and make their way through our garden). If there were other signs of nourishment I would definitely think that could be part of the problem but they are super healthy otherwise and all their feathers are beautiful and clean so it just seems odd…

I’m wondering if a predator of some sort might cause this?? But again same spot on 2 chickens so it’s weird

I was having the same issue. It was happening on the roost. Pecking for the best spot. I added some more roost space and it's clearing up. Had this flock for over a year with no issues until the end of this winter. Think they were having a little "coop fever" also.

Back
Top Bottom