What could be wrong with my 10 month old Delaware? **Update**

Mama Hen Chris

Songster
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
Peoria, AZ
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Delaware, age 10 months, not sure on the weight but feels like she lost weight. ( she always felt stocky)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is sleepy on and off and her comb and wattle are a very deep red like burgandy (she is usually a deep pink to red)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just noticed this, this morning.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Not quite sure if anything occurred as my other 9 are fine.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They all are on Layena layer. They nibble on our grass when I let them out. They have been eating oats,cabbage,watermelon, BOSS and alfalfa soaked pellets. ( nothing they have never had before)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
More watery with bits of poop ( like diarrhea)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Brought her in the house this morning and gave her water with Polyvisol drops in it. (she drank that) Gave her hard boiled yolk (she ate that) I gave her some bread with olive oil as her crop felt large at 8 a.m. and she ate that. When I got home this evening she ate some banana and drank more water. She even ate watermelon and chased her sisters for it. She had a few bites of yolk again.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would like the treat myself and if all else fails, take her to my vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No wounds.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The coop does not have shavings. It has a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor between the roosts. Shavings are in the nest boxes.
The run is sand and I added DE last week.

It has been in the 90's here and the past week she lost quite a bit of feathers. Wondering if she is molting and this could be a symptom? ( would be her very first molt)She hasn't laid eggs in 2 weeks. She does not feel eggbound. Just her crop feels full. She does have an appetite and will eat whatever you put in front of her. Bridget just isn't her energetic self today. Right now I have her in a dog carrier. I was wondering if maybe giving her a warm bath may make her feel better.
Her vent looks small and dry compared to her "sisters" and she has some broken feathers in that area as well.
I have checked her over for "bugs" and she looks clean.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can assist me with.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
This morning her crop was smaller. I massaged it. She ate more egg yolk and vitamin water. She also sipped an 1/8 tsp of olive oil. She is actually clucking today.

My biggest concern is the watery poop. More water than poop. I let her out in the yard and when she pottied it was still watery.

Sound like she's getting herself over whatever it was. There is a HUGE range of normal in chicken poop. Theres actually a thread on here somewhere which has a link to this website and it shows a HUGE selection of photos of chicken poop that is in the range of normal and then others that aren't. I'd have to say it put my mind at rest on a lot of runny poops. Some of my hens do more water that poop. The water is just the 'wee' side of things. If she's drinking a lot then whe my well be soing more water than solid. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I have seen the website. Seems she is the only one out of my 10 that have the watery poop. I just fed her some tuna and she loved that. She is still in the house in the dog crate and is napping right now. I am thinking maybe it was heatstroke or something heat related. Bridget does seem better than yesterday. DH installed a mist system in the run. We also have a ceiling fan in their coop.

Right! I was forgetting that, I am in Australia and we are getting cold now so I was not remembering the heat thing! I am rally not an expert but thought I could maybe offer some advice seing as no-one else seemed to have noticed you! Goodnight now it 11.30pm so I'd better go help keep hubby warm!

Quote:
I have never wormed my flock. They will be 1 year the end of July.

I do have a vet who can take care of my gals.

Thanks for the website. Good info in it.

Bridget seemed more alert when I got home today and ate lots of tuna and drank her vitamin water. But she is still very thin. Can feel her keel bone. Not a good thing for sure. I appreciate your advice.

Back
Top Bottom