What could be wrong with my hen?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
My buff rock is ill lately. I noticed last night that she was on the lowest roost and wasn't making her usual noises. She's losing feathers and her poop is very runny, it squirts out. She's a bit lethargic but does eat and drink. I know that's a bit vague but what are some possible illnesses?

The first thing that comes to mind is worms. Have you ever dewormed her? If not, you can deworm the whole flock with a broad spectrum dewormer, I like Levamisole because it's easy to deworm the whole flock with it, but if you deworm them individually you can use Panacur (Safeguard), or Valbazen, (both good broad spectrum dewormers). don't delay, because worms can kill. Most vets will do a fecal float for you and then you will know for sure, and our vet does not mind giving us the dewormer (Panacur) for them too. Valbazen and Levamisole are available on line in various places. There is a withdrawal period after deworming before you can safely eat the eggs or meat; about three weeks, usually. Also, you should separate your sick hen from the others, in a place where she can have some warmth and privacy but still hear and see her friends. A rabbit cage or large dog crate works, if it's big enough she can turn around and walk around a bit. She could be losing feathers because she is molting, or because she is stressed from being ill, or both.

Egg bound or molting are probably the main ones but I'm not a expert. Pictures may help
She doesn't seem to act like she's egg bound. She doesn't do the penguin walk. I thought about molting but none of my other hens act like that. Could be that along with something else.
The first thing that comes to mind is worms. Have you ever dewormed her? If not, you can deworm the whole flock with a broad spectrum dewormer, I like Levamisole because it's easy to deworm the whole flock with it, but if you deworm them individually you can use Panacur (Safeguard), or Valbazen, (both good broad spectrum dewormers). don't delay, because worms can kill. Most vets will do a fecal float for you and then you will know for sure, and our vet does not mind giving us the dewormer (Panacur) for them too. Valbazen and Levamisole are available on line in various places. There is a withdrawal period after deworming before you can safely eat the eggs or meat; about three weeks, usually. Also, you should separate your sick hen from the others, in a place where she can have some warmth and privacy but still hear and see her friends. A rabbit cage or large dog crate works, if it's big enough she can turn around and walk around a bit. She could be losing feathers because she is molting, or because she is stressed from being ill, or both.
I haven't dewormed her or the flock. I do have Zimecterin gold paste dewormer, is that ok? I do have a dog kennel large enough for her to walk around in. I just need to freshen it up for her. I hope to do it tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to check her vent but I plan to. I thought she was just molting but none of the other hens acted like that so I'm thinking it's something else entirely or like both of you said, it's molting along with something else.

Not to hijack your thread, but I got on here to post about a similar problem, and I checked for egg blockage, there is none. I have my hen isolated, will offer worm medicine in the morning. if she makes it through the night. She sure is bloated.

I'm not familiar with Zimecterin.. Best thing to do is, if you have a vet for other animals, ask them if they can sell you some Panacur suspension, you can get some for around $8.00, at least here.. 1 cc per chicken for three to five days is what our vet recommends, and that's for a bird weighing about five pounds, more or less. You can also look for Safeguard goat dewormer at the feed store. I'm not sure what the dosage is for that, but many people use that on here, so you should easily find an answer. I like the suspension because you can tear up a little bread, soak it in buttermilk, and then add the Panacur, and ours will eat it that stuff mixed together.

Gypsi, as far as bloating, that can be something else entirely. Some birds will retain fluids, and become bloated..especially Barred Rocks seem to have this problem. There are threads on here on how to deal with that, but I suggest you start a thread separate from this one, and describe all your bird's symptoms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom