What could be wrong with my hen?

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
Hello there,

I have a 10 month old Speckled Sussex. She stop laying about 14 days ago & she also won't let me pick her up or does the submissive squat anymore. I have never seen this happen, all my previous hens. I used to be able to pick her up all the time, now she will actually run. I did get her the other night to see if she could be egg bound, but I did not find anything.

She is eating & pooping, she is loosing some feather, so I am not sure it could be the start of her molt? I did send her poop to the lab, to check for worms. There are no other sympots. All other girls are doing well, still laying. They are all the same age. I would like to note, she is also at the bottom of the pecking order.

Hello there,

I have a 10 month old Speckled Sussex. She stop laying about 14 days ago & she also won't let me pick her up or does the submissive squat anymore. I have never seen this happen, all my previous hens. I used to be able to pick her up all the time, now she will actually run. I did get her the other night to see if she could be egg bound, but I did not find anything.

She is eating & pooping, she is loosing some feather, so I am not sure it could be the start of her molt? I did send her poop to the lab, to check for worms. There are no other sympots. All other girls are doing well, still laying. They are all the same age. I would like to note, she is also at the bottom of the pecking order.
Hey! Speckled sussexes arent a amazing laying breed, it could be that she is just done laying. Also, have you checked to see if she laid an egg in a bush or something?

Hey! Speckled sussexes arent a amazing laying breed, it could be that she is just done laying. Also, have you checked to see if she laid an egg in a bush or something?
They don't free range, so there are no hiding spots. They do have a large run & I let them out in the evenings for 20-30 minutes a day, supervised, since we have lots of hawks.

They don't free range, so there are no hiding spots. They do have a large run & I let them out in the evenings for 20-30 minutes a day, supervised, since we have lots of hawks.
Hm, sussexes are not a very great laying breed in general, keep a close eye on her and see if she has any more symptoms.

My Brahmas recently went on vacation for several weeks, & are just starting back up with laying. Just not starting to molt yet.

Sometimes hens will take a break for awhile.

I would check for any signs of molting, like dropping feathers, & pin feathers.

Back
Top Bottom