What could cause this?

mnemenz24

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
I am rather new to keeping chickens. In the picture is one of our hens that is a little "slow". She has always kept to herself and we believe she is blind. Our rooster picks on her terribly. He attacked her and got her eye pretty good right before I took this picture when I noticed her doing this weird stretch and gape thing. I highly doubt it is gape worm as she doesn't leave the coop and has to be directed to her food because she cannot see her dish. Any idea what could cause this? As a side note she has a seperate pen where we keep her now so that the rooster doesn't hurt her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211111-120404_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211111-120404_Gallery.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 4
How old is she? She looks rather petite.
Is she just clearing her crop or do you think it's something different?

How old is she? She looks rather petite.
Is she just clearing her crop or do you think it's something different?
She is almost 12 weeks old. She is a lot smaller than the other ISA browns we got at the same time. The one rooster we have is very, very aggressive towards her and all of the flock really. We are trying to rehome him, but I wasn't sure if he may have injured her or if it could be some kind of illness. This is our first set of chickens so I don't know much other than what I can google 🙃

At 12 weeks she's considered a pullet unless shes laying eggs already? I'm wondering if she has other disabilities that you just can't see. If blind and not growing like the others, she might not have a long life.
How old is the rooster?
If he's younger than a year, he's a cockerel and they are pretty hormonal and immature. If he's causing too much stress he should be separated. He can still be in the same area - most separate using a dog crate or kennel where he can still see the others, but just not cause harm. He can be added back to the flock if you decide to keep him.

At 12 weeks she's considered a pullet unless shes laying eggs already? I'm wondering if she has other disabilities that you just can't see. If blind and not growing like the others, she might not have a long life.
How old is the rooster?
If he's younger than a year, he's a cockerel and they are pretty hormonal and immature. If he's causing too much stress he should be separated. He can still be in the same area - most separate using a dog crate or kennel where he can still see the others, but just not cause harm. He can be added back to the flock if you decide to keep him.
No, she isn't laying yet. Everything else about her seems normal other than she keeps to herself with the exception of one other pullet that sort of ushers her around from time to time.
The rooster is around 14 weeks old. We have two other roosters that are a little bit rough with the girls, but nothing like him. He practically breaks the necks of the pullets and other cockerels, doesn't let anyone else eat, and they all avoid him at all costs. That isn't normal is it? Just a side note, we have 30 in the flock all together and one or two will inevitably go because I know 3 roosters is too many

I think 10-15 is the recommendation per rooster. I don't think many would recommened keeping a cockerel that's being so rough as to almost break necks. He sounds like soup.

As for your pullet its good she has another to help her get around. Maybe put them in together so she doesn't get too stressed. Her actions right now might be due to stress.

Last edited:
I had a partially blind chicken. Her name was Weezy and she laid beautiful blue eggs. I made some flock adjustments (we never had a rooster but i got rid of her friend Florence who was white and I think the only one she could see) because she was getting picked on and not eating well. Unfortunately my best intentions made things worse and she are even less. Make sure she is eating enough. If he's keeping her from food he needs to be separated. Blind chickens have a hard time as it is without being beat up by roosters. I don't know about the gaping but my Weezy did it a few times as well.

Of the adults in my flock, I have a 1-1 rooster hen ratio, about 8-12 adult roosters and 8-12 adult hens. All the hens go sit on eggs and have babies, which then causes the roosters to fight but they end up spreading out becaise the terrain is large for them to run in the day.

Depends when you took the photo, did she just eat? Could have been just moving the food around in her throat. Can you find out if she is fully blind or partially blind? Big difference in how to raise the fully blind ones. Good luck with her and good for you for keeping her.

Of the adults in my flock, I have a 1-1 rooster hen ratio, about 8-12 adult roosters and 8-12 adult hens. All the hens go sit on eggs and have babies, which then causes the roosters to fight but they end up spreading out becaise the terrain is large for them to run in the day.

Depends when you took the photo, did she just eat? Could have been just moving the food around in her throat. Can you find out if she is fully blind or partially blind? Big difference in how to raise the fully blind ones. Good luck with her and good for you for keeping her.
I have 1 roo with 3 hens and have never had a problem. I say as long as the ladies aren't getting overbred and your roos aren't fighting, go for it!

Back
Top Bottom