What could do this

Quote:
Yep. they sure will. We had a mouse problem and had been setting mouse traps the past few weeks(no idea we had rats) and were disgusted when we would find a mouse on a trap with nothing but the head left..something was eating the dead mice right off the trap. Some of our mouse traps even went missing...something had drug it off to eat it, I guess. The whole thing is sickening and just plain frustrating. We coop everything up like Fort Knox around here and then to have a little rat create the problem is just plain aggravating!!
he.gif
Good luck and keep us posted! Walmart carries rat traps, by the way!
wink.png

Well, I've lost all of the chicks.
I've set out rat traps a small live trap, a large live trap and whatever it is tripped all traps but I didn't catch anything, just don't get it.
Now something is going after the adult hens. I don't think it's a coon, though don't know, but they are not being taken, just killed and partially eaten, haven't noticed any blood. A couple has had their heads ripped off but again, hardly anything is eaten from them.
I've put poison out, and the other day I put mothballs around the coop, will say for the first time in a month, the eggs were left alone.
I worked all weekend on the coop and cannot see where anything could possibly get in let alone trip all those traps and not get caught. Yet that is what is happening. After a lull of about 2 days, whatever it is back.
Just about ready to get rid of my chickens to save them. Starting to wonder if I should put a cross out there...

maybe you could try leghold traps...you can get them at a sporting goods store like gander mountain or cabelas..there are different sizes that you can get..put peanut butter on the flapper and see if you can catch them that way...bacon is another good bait if you can attach it tightly so the varmint has to struggle to get it...maybe with a thin wire..like baggie tie

these traps come with a chain attached so you can attach it with a stake or nail it to your floor

Good Luck...i hate to hear when people lose their little babies to these pesky mongrils

Btw..where are you from?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom